Pages

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Z Seals

My foot was bothering me yesterday, so all the things on my list that required standing were relegated to "another day." After spending the morning in idle pursuits (like sleeping) I decided I really ought to try to get something done in the afternoon.

One thing on my list that I really wanted to do but hadn't found the large block of time to complete was to make and send out change of address cards.  I only had about 30 to send, but that is a lot of crafting if I was to make anything very elaborate.  I hadn't settled on a design, but I had written the text a few weeks before we moved. That I still had it was somewhat of a miracle, especially considering that I had misplaced it at least three times since I wrote it!

After searching for a little while online for ideas, I came up with a variation of one I liked (and thought I could replicate with my limited art skills) and printed everything off.  I had already cut the text boxes out before realizing there was a typo! Second time through was good.  I finished them off at about 3:00 and decided I had time to transfer all my addresses to my new address book, another long awaited task I finished about three minutes before Ornery arrived home from work.

We went out for dinner and on the way home I asked to stop at a little gift shop that I had been eyeing ever since we moved to the neighborhood.  I was hopeful that I might find some really cool decorating gizmo to adorn the entry hall table. I was disappointed to discover it wasn't really my sort of store, but they did have a back-room sale of 75% off where I found some monogram seals for sealing wax. The handle and seal were separate, with normal prices way above what I would normally pay for such frivolity, but since they were on sale I grabbed a handle and rummaged through the basket until I found a Z.

It took Ornery a few moments to figure out why I chose that letter, but then recalled we named the house Zoe Cottage, and the lights came on for him.  When we got home, I got the cards back out of the mailbox and spent over an hour fighting sealing wax trying to singe my hair and burn down the studio sealing them.  My wax is OLD, and some of it didn't want to let go of the seal, but eventually I got them all done and back out in the mailbox.

It was one last part of moving that helps make it official in my mind.  I still stand in my l-o-n-g entry hall sometimes, looking at all the same things I used to have in a different place and wonder whose house I am in. It seems like six weeks should be long enough to adapt, but I often feel like I am just visiting someone who has borrowed all my things! It is just that. much. nicer.

1 comment:

  1. My announcement arrived yesterday! Thank you, and it was adorable :) Wishing you both years of joy in your new cottage :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us! We really appreciate it.