I was just finishing up a book on my Nook last night when the lights began to flicker. They did the brown-out thing a few times before giving up the ghost altogether. That was at midnight according to the chimes on the clock. The wind and rain were rather violent sounding, but that has rarely affected my sleep, so I slept until about 3:15 and woke up rather toasty despite being out from under the covers.
I opened a window and then sat outside for a while to cool off--and it was really cool; about 68 degrees! I went back to sleep after cooling off, and didn't wake up until 5:45 when I figured I really should wake up Ornery so he could go to work. Over 80,000 customers were without power in our county, including Ornery's work so after sitting around there in the semi-dark for a couple hours, they announced everyone had the day off!
We got power back at noon, and had barely started getting too warm. The main task was finding things to keep us busy since we couldn't use power tools, laundry, etc. I worked a puzzle, although it went together much faster after the lights came back on! :)
We were w/o power for about 4 days in Feb after a blizzard and it was so cold in my house that I thought I'd never be warm again. It was awful. Hoping to get a generator this fall.
ReplyDeleteI thought you were talking about the Night the Lights Went Out In Georgia. :P We had a tornado blow through a few years ago the night before Mother's Day and we were without power for 3 days. We lost the ONLY Schwann's ice cream I've ever purchased in my life. Never even got to sample it. Drying your hair with no hair dryer is the worst. We're getting a gennie for the new house.
ReplyDelete-andi
That was quite a storm!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great excuse to do some gardening!
ReplyDeleteMy wife almost dies every time the power goes out cuz it takes the tv with it and I secretly think she is afraid to go outside