My post yesterday about Social Media was actually going to be combined with some other internet related news. My social media rant went on long enough and I didn't want to get anyone too worked up over post length. So, here is my news.
On a whim I queried my friend Mr. Google for online volunteer opportunities. Since I don't have a car anymore I am limited as to how much I get out and I wanted to get involved someplace helping others. I ended up signing up for two separate opportunities I found, and if or when they pan out I will be writing more about them. Who knew there were so many opportunities to share your skills virtually?
Second, I started doing a blog hop earlier this month but decided that since the only way to link up was through Facebook or Twitter I decided to drop out of the challenge. The challenge idea was fine, but refer back to my social media post. I have written a post a day for the month so far, but never had linked up. I ventured over to the related Facebook page and read a few of the posts. One link led to another, and pretty soon I landed on a blog with a link to Zibbet.com, a site similar to etsy. I have a new shop there, although it has the same items as the etsy shop does. We'll see if there is any activity there. At least there is no listing or sales fee, and once I load items into etsy, I can download a CSV file to my zibbet account and only have to do all the writing once!
I had such great plans for the day yesterday... none of which panned out because I was on the computer almost all day! Ugh. The internet is like a spider web and it is so easy to get entangled! Today? NOT turning the machine on! (this is a scheduled post!)
Have you ever done any virtual volunteer work? Do you have an online shop? Please share!
Thanks for the zibbet tip, I will have to try them instead of Etsy! I haven't done any volunteer work unfortunately. I can't figure out what I want to do. I love animals but I'm not good with cleaning up poop, etc. I am not good with kids, despite all my friends telling me I should volunteer to teach them crafts. I'm also not good with geriatrics either....overall I am pretty shy when I'm outside my comfort zone. I clam up and spend most of the time looking at the floor, terrified to make eye contact.
ReplyDeleteArtFire is another site that offers a free service with no listing/sales fees. The better options are fee related in both cases, and in the big scheme of things, etsy is probably cheaper than either of the paid options on the other two sites unless you list a LOT.
DeleteAll that to say, if you don't mind the ads, and don't care what your store front looks like, free is always a favorable option!
No, I never thought about on-line volunteer work, didn't know there was such!
ReplyDeleteThe organization I signed up with is called Volunteermatch.org. There are currently over 4000 virtual opportunities that cover organizations world-wide and some don't require much if any experience, but someone with web design, graphics, or editing experience should be able to keep busy for years to come!
DeleteThe posting I signed up for is writing blog posts for a dog breeder that donates specially bred service dogs to veterans with PTSD. I had bookmarked a half-dozen or so options when I came to this one and quit looking. If you have time to give, it seems like there would surely be something of interest!
tm