Pages

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Social Media

I am a fickle woman.

I have gone back and forth in my relationship with social media and have a hard time deciding whether I want to be a part of the community of online lurkers or just focus on my blog.  My first (and usually only) inclination is just to blog, and while sometimes I see things on Facebook that pique my interest I tend to get sucked in and end up spending way longer than I had intended lurking, following rabbit trails and sharing my opinion.  Today I "unfriended" everyone on my FB friends list that wasn't related to me by blood or marriage.

NOT that I had many friends to start with, but in one fell-swoop I wiped 'em all out. Boom.

When I first joined Facebook I was one of those people who posted what was going on almost every day.  I measured my popularity by how many friends I had (over 300 at one time) and searched for former acquaintances with fervor.  I lived for the comments people left on my posts and interacted with anyone who posted anything interesting.  Then Facebook changed formats and rather than adjust I actually unfriended everyone on my friends list and closed down my account permanently.

When I timidly joined again with a different email address, I rarely posted updates and only asked for friends I really thought I wanted to connect with. Now my feed can go months without any addition and most of my photos reflect our activity at 507.  Maybe since I have narrowed my audience to just family I will feel a bit more comfortable sharing. Who knows?  I would simplify my life and delete the account altogether except that is the only source of pictures and updates that I have of my grand-kids.

I don't have a Twitter account, but I am marginally on Instagram (again mostly following family) and Pinterest -- another time-sap, but I am not really addicted to it like I was at first.  I spent a few hours there Monday and that should take care of my wanderlust for another month or so.

Then there is blogging which isn't really social media, but sort of.

Oh, how I love my blogs!  Family members are not so enamored, and some have stated flat-out they do NOT read blogs. Ever.  Maybe I am too wordy, or maybe the others are just not all that interested in my life or in clicking the link to actually come and visit, but for whatever reason, all but one or two people who read here are strangers in real life.

I am really okay with that now, although at first I took it personally and thought my family must just not be interested in my life. I love my blogging friends and am willing to share my thoughts with them much more liberally than I am usually willing to share with family--maybe because my blog followers actually chose to be here instead of winning me through the genetic lottery or marriage.

It could be that it is easier to have online friends who are IRL strangers because there are only certain parts of our lives that we share.  I am not self-conscious about my appearance here; I don't have to dress up for our meetings, and when I converse through my keyboard I am very carefully constructing my post to avoid offending.  I am not that way in person, and more often than not am so flustered around others that I say stupid things I had not even imagined were in my head!

So, thanks for coming here to visit, for commenting on my posts, for indulging me by writing delightful prose on your own blog, and for being my friend. I probably won't be bringing you a casserole when you are sick, and I would be useless as a friend to drop you off at your car repair place, but I am happy to read about your thoughts and converse with you when you are lonely. To me, this is the ultimate in social media and I am so grateful for this wonderful online community.

17 comments:

  1. I like blogging for the same reasons you list. I never thought I would be a writer but this is a great place to put out your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Tracy! I agree it is a great place to record thoughts--and it is sort of a virtual diary for me. I can't believe how often I go back to past posts and think, "Oh, yeah! I remember that!" LOL! getting old isn't so great for the memory, although to be fair, mine has always been selective and sketchy!
      tm

      Delete
  2. I like blogging for the things you list too. I have never thought about myself as a writer and use Face Book to promote my blog....not really connect with anyone. Fellow bloggers have become my friends so to speak. Family really doesn't associate with me at all on face book even though they have friended me to figure out what I am up too. I don't bother them, they don't bother me and we sure don't interact. NO great loss. I am not the type to announce everything I am doing on Face Book and roll my eyes at those that do. I mean who gives a damn what so and so is having for dinner? I just don't. Sorry. So glad to have found you here through your blog because I enjoy interacting with you and having you visit me. The longer we go back and forth, the more I consider you a friend. Screwy I know but true.

    Kathy
    http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, I have enjoyed it as well! The A to Z challenge brought many new bloggers into my little sphere and I have loved getting to know them. :D

      tm

      Delete
  3. I am very thankful you write and share your life in your blog. I read it very faithfully, comment just occasionally. Thank you for being part of my life, though far away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you visit and so faithfully read. Such a dear sister you are! :) Love you!
      tm

      Delete
  4. I do so understand you. My "kids" guilted me into setting up a FB, which is check ONLY when I receive notice that a relative has something.

    Speaking about a casserole, there is a YouTube you should check out by Jeanne Robertson. I will send you the address.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan:
      I do check my Facebook fairly frequently as I have an app on my phone (faulty as it is) and there are other family members that post pictures from time to time that I like to see. It is a love/hate thing for me. : /
      tm

      Delete
  5. I'm with you! I have my blog. My blog has a FB page. Pretty much the only thing I do on FB is put each blog post out there for those who follow on FB. That's it! I don't do Pinterest, Twitter, HomeTalk, etc. In fact, it's a miracle I've even heard of any of those. I like blogging best. :)

    -andi

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Facebook...if it wasn't for FB Russell never would've found me. He almost got rid of his acct b/c he said he found me so he didn't need it anymore. But now I see he does enjoy catching up w/ old friends and seeing what his kids and relatives are up to. As for me I get to talk to my best real life friends every single day, despite the distances. And I've made a lot of internet friends that I consider to be 'real life' even though we've never met. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Facebook is great for those who have people who post. I just don't have many of those friends!

      Delete
  7. I love Facebook. I keep track of what is going on with my daughter and my grandchildren by reading their posts. Now that I am retired I don't have daily contact with the outside world. FB lets me keep in touch with friends without having to venture into the real world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great that you have a way to keep in touch!
      tm

      Delete
  8. I dont have many friends and all my family lives pretty far away so without my social media I would be super alone. At least this way I feel like I'm part of this world and not some hermit on the side of a hill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can relate to your "not many friends, and family living far away." That is where blogging has helped me feel part of a bigger picture. Although, some days I think I really could be happy as a hermit...
      tm

      Delete
  9. Hi OW .. I love my blog and will move into FB and Twitter onto a 'more professional' level .. rather than just putting stuff out there that many seem to do ..

    But that will come with the new projects as they pick up and develop out..

    All the best - you're certainly looking around for what suits you ...

    Blogging definitely suits me .. and if people don't understand fine - they do when 'it happens' for them .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a love/hate relationship w/ social media too. I can so relate to all this. I waver all the time about how much to share, why I write, which forms of media to continue, or just get out. I suspect some of all this will die out in a few years. People will be on to something else. Every 5 years or so, things change.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us! We really appreciate it.