Pages

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Weekend in Review: Framed and Hanged!

Ornery was given a print of an airplane at work a while back, and rather than purchase a new frame, we decided to recycle one we were not using anymore. I painted it black last weekend and it sat on the bar all week waiting for me to clean the glass so it could be reassembled.  Got that done, it is now ready to hang once he decides where he wants it--the Man Cave or his cubicle wall at work.

The next project to finish was the shadow box frame Ornery built out of scrap for the puzzle Elizabeth and Michael bought on their first trip to the farmer's market this spring. I didn't want to spend any money on the project, especially considering how much scrap he has out in the Man Cave, and he managed to do it all with things he had on hand. The Plexiglas front is from an old discarded poster frame and we rummaged around in my tool kit and found some screw-eyes and wire for the back. Finding projects that use stuff we already have is somehow quite satisfying.

I had great aspirations for making it into a cool shadow box with little balls of yarn, something partially knitted still on the needles... anyway, it is finally finished, and my paltry efforts at making it more than just a framed puzzle ended up nothing like I imagined, so I gave up on that and just framed it.  Sometimes my ideas are like that, but I am not disappointed.


The purple paint was sitting on the garage shelf, the purple yarn in the print needed something to keep it from fading away--it was all very happy together.

I rearranged the art on my "Color Wall" in the studio, and am happy with the results so far. I envision it changing from time to time, and I hope to add some smaller artwork below the puzzle in the near future.  It has been awhile since I had my watercolors out and I am starting to get the urge.


Ornery spent part of the day on Sunday working on the yard at 507, and adding a few extra pickets to the back fence to close up some gaps along the back of the yard. While he was working on that, I was filling holes and sanding on the headboard cum shelves for the studio. He finished reworking it on Saturday, so the rest of the job is up to me. I'd like to say there will be before and after pictures, but as usual, we forgot the before.

My initial plan was to paint it white to match all the other furniture in the room, but I was quite inspired by the purple frame, and a little daunted by the idea of priming and using multiple coats of white to a previously stained piece, so I think I am going to paint it teal, although I did consider purple... It is just about ready to paint, and hopefully I'll get that done in the next day or so.  This is another project made from scrap except for the Masonite back.

We really do have renters moving in next week! We are to sign the lease agreement tonight, and they are scheduled to take possession Wednesday. They sound like responsible young women, and they seem very excited about the house.  I am glad because it is such a cute place and I wanted someone to love it like I do.

I don't have much planned for the coming week, but plenty I could do if I wanted. The studio table is cleared off and if my muse is handy I might while away a few hours playing in there.

3 comments:

  1. Love the frames! And yay on the renter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh....a studio....ahhhhh....!!! I'd love to have a little workshop. It's in the future plans, but you know how "plans" sometimes work out...

    And get those watercolors out!

    -andi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the yarn picture. Yarn is my decoration. I never have room to decorate the way most people do, ie, with a vase or plant, etc. My hobbies are sitting around anyway so they are my decorations. My knitting is always my dec. and it changes color often. Ha. It's nice you found some renters who will love your place. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us! We really appreciate it.