Pages

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Choosing our Perspective

My heart goes out to the families of those lost in the wildfires of Arizona this week.  The loss of an entire team of highly trained professionals is devastating to the entire area as well as the friends and families of those men.  It is the same for our state of Oklahoma with the loss of a team of highly trained storm chasers in the last Moore tornado system.

They all knew going into the jobs they were living on the edge, but somehow, just as those young men and women who join the military, it doesn't seem like death and disaster will ever really happen to them.  They take all the precautions possible and do their job to the best of their ability but sometimes the game changes and all is lost.

It seems like a lot of "games" are changing these days.  Crazy hot weather up north, inundated with rain to the worst flooding in recorded history, and cool weather here where normally we see triple digit temps by this time in the summer.  I sat out on the patio this morning in 59 degrees! The weather isn't all that is changing, but it is surely a sign of the times.

I don't spend much time reading or listening to the news, and I never watch it unless I am someplace out and it is unavoidable.  Darren Hardy in his book, The Compound Effect, spoke about the futility of attending to the news when one could do nothing about it.  I don't know that his is the only reason I choose to remain ignorant, but certainly he has a point--there is nothing I can do about it, and worrying doesn't help anyone.

Yesterday in a moment of introspection, I was reminded to live my life with generosity and gratitude.  While that is a challenge when circumstances seem to point to a downward spiral in many areas, it is not impossible. So instead of getting frustrated at things that don't go as planned, I will look for the good around me and focus on that.  It is proven that what we focus on is what we get more of--so I choose joy, love, health, happiness and peace.  Will you join me in looking for the good and remarking on it?

4 comments:

  1. I do try to see the glass half full these days, since moving back, but i'm still gonna complain about this crushing humidity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We left Sedona, AZ the day before the big-and-I-mean-huge heat wave hit--triple digits. Then the news of the fires! My prayers are with the families. Thanks for high-lighting the fire fighters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the same way...I don't watch the news...everything is so depressing! Plus there's so little "real" news anymore. But yes, the fires are horrific and I'm so sad at the great losses they're causing. :(

    -andi

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tend to avoid the news, too (partly because it's too depressing, and partly because so little of it is actually the true stories.) The loss of the firefighters here in Arizona is definitely a painful tragedy. It does bring comfort to hear all of the prayers and love coming from the rest of the country, though. It helps to feel that sense of connection and global community.

    I'm always glad to see someone focusing on the positive. It makes life SO much better. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us! We really appreciate it.