We have had an odd few days around the Cottage this week.
Bleh.
Wednesday I spent the morning at 507 and I haven't been back. After the pest control guy left I began feeling queasy. It could have been watching all the bugs come into the garage to die, but I have never really had an affection for roly-polys so that doesn't seem likely. There are other variables, perhaps overheated on Tuesday, or a reaction to the pesticide, or... ? At any rate, I have been in-between slightly nauseous and wishing I could end it all ever since. I have had a few hours of feeling good, but not enough to really accomplish anything.
Sprouts.
We did go grocery shopping on Wednesday night, although I think I will wait for another few months for the new Sprouts store to get its bearings. The shelves were shockingly empty, and of course the one variety of shampoo I wanted was sold out. The prices were fantastic, considering the usual cost of grass fed, organic, pasture raised, etc. We bought quite a bit of meat at much better prices than even the regular grocery store. The aisles were a little close, and loaded with people shopping and employees stocking, but I think had we not been there on Wednesday (double ad day) it might not have been quite so bad.
Sympathy.
We found out that one of our neighbors died on Monday morning. We had only exchanged a few words with him last summer when Ornery was painting the exterior of Zoe Cottage. From other neighbors we discovered that his wife had been critically ill for quite some time but seemed to be better this year. His death was sudden and unexpected. He seemed robust and healthy from outward appearances.
Since we have never met the widow, it seems a bit awkward to offer any physical assistance, but we have been praying for her comfort. Her next-door neighbor mowed the lawn for her and I think others who know her have taken in meals. Hearing about things like that always makes me appreciate my life and how blessed I have been to have health and my beloved by my side.
Shake up.
Thursday while Elizabeth was over for lunch, I got a call from our property manager saying she had been fired (due to a personality conflict with her boss) and was changing affiliate companies. We certainly never found her difficult to work with, so we are in the process of signing everything all over again to change to the new company. I thought that waiting for the change over to get finalized would give us a little reprieve to hopefully finish the house before it starts showing again, but when I spoke with her today she said it had been shown four times this week. So much for notifying me first!
Eew!
Between shopping at Sprouts (and a couple other stores to find shampoo!) on Wednesday, and Sam's Club Thursday night, Ornery had not been over to work on 507 since Tuesday night until Friday evening when he went over to mow the lawn and drop off some lumber for exterior repairs. He told me when he got home he was glad I hadn't gone as when he opened up the garage door he found hundreds of dead cockroaches on the floor.
I am not a fan of pesticides as a general rule, but 507 had a really bad case of ants all over the back of the house, and there were constantly little beetles or something crawling around on the ceilings inside. So, I had organic spray put inside and whatever he uses for spiders and general pests in the garage and outside around the perimeter windows and doors. Apparently we had a bad case of cockroaches as well. :P Here is hoping no prospective renter saw it before Ornery swept out the garage. Seeing all those bugs would definitely be a deterrent to wanting to rent there!
Garage Sales.
Our annual neighborhood garage sale was on Saturday. We loaned our next-door neighbor a couple of tables and let them park their cars in our driveway. I noted from my library windows that there was pretty steady traffic all morning, and when they returned the tables told me their son did well, but not the rest of them. Feeling as I did, I am really glad Ornery decided for us to not host a sale ourselves.
Anniversary.
Today, Sunday, is our 34th wedding anniversary. We plan to celebrate at Zio's Italian Eatery with some chicken picatta sometime after 507 is finished. We thought about taking the day off to celebrate, but being so close to finished was motivation to stick with the task at hand till we are done.
507.
Since Ornery spent the weekend over there by himself, the list didn't progress very far. He got the repairs done on the exterior--at least all the ones that he has found so far. He also got the back and part of the west end painted before he quit for the day.
Mostly all that remains is painting 1/2 of the garage and the rest of the exterior. There are a few small repairs inside, and if I feel good enough to go back before it rents I will seal the kitchen counter top. It has one of those kit finishes on it and is dull in several spots--not to mention the previous owner used some flat black paint around the stove to hide some discoloration. Each time I have washed there a bit more paint comes up, so I figured it might be best to seal it. Someday we will have to replace the counters but not right now.
Wild Weather.
Pretty much the entire state of Oklahoma is under a tornado watch this evening. The skies certainly look threatening, and the wind has been blowing briskly all day. Rain is in the forecast all week, so it looks like we will have to be creative to get the exterior of 507 painted.
Week Ahead:
Hopefully whatever this is that is making me feel so bad is soon to run its course and I will be back at it. I had really hoped to have the house done by today, but the date keeps on slipping. We'd love to get a contract this week on the rental. On Wednesday my reflections post will be featured on the A to Z blog. That is the excitement around here!
Be safe with those tornado warnings and I hope you feel better soon! I think I would've yelped if I opened the garage to see all those dead cockroaches! EWWWWW!
ReplyDeleteYuck on the roaches they are the most disgusting creatures on the earth. Be safe with the storms and many blessing to you and mr ornery on your anniversary. Love that you're taking time to be together for an evening of romance and food. I love Italian too...it's my favorite!
ReplyDeleteHappy anniversary! Hope you're feeling better soon, and that you're not getting hit by the storms.
ReplyDeleteHappy Anniversary!! Roaches, ewww!
ReplyDeleteI found your blog from the A-Z Challenge reflections post. We got a Sprouts in March and I love their produce and when they put meat on sale I always buy it. The ground beef and chicken is very good.
ReplyDelete