The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
ad·dic·tion ( -d
k
sh
n)
n.1.a. Compulsive physiological and psychological need for a habit-forming substance: a drug used in the treatment of heroin addiction.b. An instance of this: a person with multiple chemical addictions.2.a. The condition of being habitually or compulsively occupied with or or involved in something.b. An instance of this: had an addiction for fast cars.
The strangest thing happened to me yesterday... I quit liking coffee. Well, I don't suppose it is really all that strange since in reality I never really did like coffee, but the beverage that had plenty of cream and real maple syrup in it--and a little bit of weak coffee.
I didn't drink coffee at all until a few years ago, but it quickly settled into my morning routine and despite numerous attempts to give it up, I kept going back to it. Who knows whether this time it will last, but for now, I am happy to be free from it. I have never really liked being addicted to anything.
My body seems to be rejecting things I never had a problem with before, things like chocolate and now coffee. It has been gradual, but I have noted that my tastes have changed a lot in food over the years. Whereas I always liked sweet things in my youth, now I tend to reach for salty.
When I was regularly being tested for food sensitivities a couple of years ago, chocolate and caffeine came up regularly on the list of things to avoid. Chocolate was pretty hard to give up. There are odes written to chocolate love, and for many, it is their go-to comfort food. I don't recall ever thinking, "I really need some chocolate," but I ate it, because have you ever tried to find a sweet treat or candy bar that didn't have chocolate on or in it? Pretty hard to do.
Eventually the taste no longer appealed and I quit eating it for quite a while. From time to time I eat something with chocolate in it, but my body does not react well, so since it doesn't taste good to me, and my body doesn't like it I guess I will continue to leave it alone.
At one time I was addicted to Dr. Pepper (2 liters/day). I have known many who share that addiction. It is evident by the fact that no matter where they are a bottle is attached to their hand or very near their reach. They always ask if the food establishment serves Dr. Pepper (and Mr. Pibb just won't work as an alternative!) and often run back out to the car for a secret stash if the server replies in the negative.
This addiction isn't the same as a preference for Coke over Pepsi, or vice versa. No, a Pepper is as dedicated as any junkie, and the thought of doing without their beverage is crushing. I had an acquaintance once who ended up in the hospital repeatedly for racing heart and chest pains. The doctors could find nothing medically wrong with her, and when I suggested it might be the Dr. Pepper she claimed she would rather suffer the pain and hospital visits (or even death!) than give up her drink!
Diet Coke drinkers seem to often fall in this category as well. I have read many a blog post relating to or including references to the beverage and their craving for it. I have often wondered what substance is in these soft drinks that makes them so irresistible. I am pretty sure, like cigarettes and alcohol, they are an acquired taste, because today one sip of a Dr. Pepper sends me to the sink to get it out of my mouth, and any drink marked diet makes me gag.
I did a little research and came up with an article or two about soft drinks, if you care to look at them. The more articles I read, the more I realized this is a huge issue, and it is no wonder our country has so many health problems!
9 Disturbing Facts about Soda
How I kicked the Diet Soda Addiction
Do you have addictions? Have you ever tried to break them?
-d
k
sh
WHAT? You mean I can lose my taste for chocolate? Oh dear batman no!
ReplyDeleteI was Dr. Pepper addicted - I spent my summer in England learning English as a kid and I totally became addicted to it. My guest family had to intervene and all.
No addictions what so ever beside maybe rhyming lol but yeah one day you can wake up and poof it is gone.
ReplyDeleteHi, I'm Andi, and I'm a Diet Cokeaholic. I know how awful it is for me. When I drink it, it makes me stuff my face with other horrible things, like evil potato chips and mounds of brownies. I haven't had a diet coke in 10 days now...not that I'm counting. I almost caved last night, but held strong. I hope it's gone forever this time, but that thought makes me sad. But hey...if I can give up the ciggies, I can give up this poison too. And after well over a decade of no smokes, the smell of it now makes me want to retch all over the source. Let's hope the dt. coke abstinence sticks this time. BTW...great documentary I caught on Netflix called Hungry for Change. Awesome. Talks about soda and processed foods....they're killing us!!!
ReplyDeleteLike you, sugar has gone to the wayside and salt is BFF. Chocolate now hurts my head and coffee has been replaced by tea. Why can't things be simple.
ReplyDeleteI'm addicted to projects. I think I have Project ADD as well. "Not a good combination", says the check book. I also love beer. I have bounced back and forth on addiction with alcohol my whole adult life. It usually wins. As I grow older it has slacked off more and more. I used to need lots of beer and now just one or two will suffice. I gave up cigarettes 5-6 years ago but then fell in love with cigars. I dont smoke that many but the craving is always there. Problem is the ones I like are too expensive to smoke on a regular basis. So far this month I have had only 2. Not bad for a pack and a half smoker for 20 years.
ReplyDeleteWell apart from my craft supply and bead addiction I would say I don't really have any food ones, but yeah I do need my sugary snacks. My fiance' is on a very strict diet and I'm trying to do it with him. I feel bad if I eat the ice cream he can't have, in front of him. So been trying to go to more fruits. I used to be addicted to Diet Coke too but I gave it up years ago. Now I don't even like pop of any kind, except the occasional cream soda. But I do drink lots of Crystal Lite despite people screaming at me about the aspartame. I won't give up my morning coffee though!
ReplyDelete