Obesity seems to be one of the last free-for-alls when it comes to bullying, snide remarks, rude comments, or demoralizing and embarrassing expressions of opinions. As a child in the 1960's I was certainly in the minority but not alone. There were others who took much more teasing than I did, but it was always a very painful experience to stand on the scale in front of everyone for the annual weight recording by the school nurse or disrobe in the locker room after PE class.
Unfortunately, school was not the only place comments were made to me about my size, and at home food was a huge subject of conversation. I was large (tall and big boned) for my age and many seemingly harmless comments about my size were casually thrown around without regard as to how they would affect me for the rest of my life. I recall being around six when my mom tried to buy me a bathing suit and had to get an adult size because of my long torso. My parents meant well, but my dad believed overweight to be among the worst physical attributes a person could have, so his jibes were more pointed and consistent, especially after my mother died when I was nine. If subtle reminders weren't working, he went on a more direct attack with humiliation.
My weight has fluctuated through the years, and I have tried so many diets and weight loss routines I have quit counting. I have not only dieted and exercised, I have done meditation, EFT, and any other thing I could find that gave me hope. I drew the line at gastric by-pass surgery, even though my doctor at one point recommended it. That was when I quit trusting western medicine for anything other than a broken bone.
The first time anyone actually regulated my food intake was the summer my mom died. My aunt and uncle had gone to Arizona to visit my mom and offered to take me with them for the summer. We drove across the country and as was their way, ate from a cooler along the way. The first night we stopped at a hotel with a pool and I swam for a couple of hours. When I emerged I was famished, having had only a peanut butter sandwich for lunch. My aunt felt I needed to go on a reducing diet, and fed me a small tin of fruit cocktail mixed with a teaspoon of mayonnaise for dinner. I was actually hungrier after I finished than when I started, and that was all I was given until the next morning. It was during that summer I began sneaking food a habit that continued until high school when I was caught and had things 'splained to me with a paddle.
The next diet I went on was a few years later, when as an early teen I was encouraged to join Weight Watchers. I dutifully went to the meetings and my sister diligently prepared the food for me to eat. I don't really remember if I lost much weight, but I do remember being hungry all the time.
I ended up attending Oral Roberts University for college, and one of the stipulations for matriculation was to pass an HPER (health, physical education, recreation) course each semester. They were big proponents of Kenneth Cooper's Aerobics program, and it was misery for me. Eating cafeteria food ended up driving my weight up instead of down, making the exercise (which I had never enjoyed) even more painful and challenging. I eventually flunked out of college, feeling like a failure on many levels, mostly because so much emphasis was placed on my physical condition. The university has since changed their policy, but it was unfortunate for me they ever had that stipulation in place to begin with.
When I met Ornery, I weighed about 175 lbs. I am 5'9" tall, so that isn't way overweight, but I still felt like the fatty I had been led to believe I was all while I was growing up. He tried to encourage me to accept myself, but just before we married, I spent a couple of months at home dieting (starving myself) so I would look good for our wedding. I managed to drop down to my lowest weight since before my mom died, and married in a size 13 dress, weighing 145 lbs. That was the last time I saw those numbers on the scale.
Fortunately for me, Ornery wasn't interested in a skinny girl. He says he always looked at them and thought they looked unhealthy. His grandmother Miller was a larger woman and always healthy and jovial, so he found nothing offensive or wrong with my size. We were married in May and in November our first child was conceived. I gained about 70 lbs. during my pregnancy and lost only a pittance after Elizabeth was born. Of course my doctor was horrified every time I stepped on the scale, and he warned me that I shouldn't gain so much weight.
(According to scientific study, a link has been noted between childhood obesity to having a mother who dieted during pregnancy. This makes sense since the body automatically adjusts to starvation conditions attempting to preserve itself.)
Whatever. I didn't eat more or less than usual, but certainly less than my trim husband! I have never had a huge appetite, and it has always been a mystery to me why my body was so sure it needed to store fat. I was always busy, tried to eat a well balanced diet, and other than a few years when I had a horrible Dr. Pepper habit, I have generally speaking eaten fairly healthy. I have never been a big exerciser, tending to get most of my activity from cleaning, gardening, and working on various other projects.
I gained about the same amount with our second child, and while I don't remember how much I weighed at his delivery, I remember being mortified and ashamed of my body. I was actually much more active during that pregnancy because we lived in the Marshall Islands and had to bike or walk everywhere. I never really lost the weight from that pregnancy either, and it was at that time that Ornery decided having babies was too hard on my body to have any more.
Between the time Ryan was born and my 40th birthday, I played a little at losing weight from time to time, but never really got serious. A couple months before I turned 40, Ornery and I went to Cancun for a week get-away. While there I twisted my knee walking on the beach and had a steroid shot to help the pain. I wasn't aware I was allergic, and by the time we started home, I had developed some really odd symptoms. Several trips to the doctor later, I was mis-diagnosed as having Hodgkin's Disease, since all the other tests (Epstein Barr, etc.) came back negative. I was really sick!!!
While lying on the table getting some sort of medical test where they injected some sort of dye or iodine (I don't remember what) into my system, my fever broke, my symptoms went away and I was fine again. (The doctor never did really know what was wrong, and it wasn't until a couple years later after having another cortisone shot with the same symptoms that I made the connection.) The relief was so great I decided I would make some lifestyle changes because I was sure I was way too young to die.
I went cold turkey on the Dr. Pepper, joined Curves and worked out five or six days a week. I refused to weigh because I didn't want to know and because I was afraid the scale wouldn't go that high. Eventually (after I had dropped a couple of sizes in clothes) I weighed and measured for the first time, and was pretty close to 350 lbs. I was on a roll, and lost down to about 275 before life interfered and I quit exercising and starving myself.
It wasn't just exercise that helped me lose weight; I used Advocare supplements and shakes, as well as Weight Watchers again. That lifestyle was so stifling and limiting I just couldn't keep up with it and work part-time, homeschool, and keep the other parts of my life going. Without all the strict monitoring and self-imposed limits, the weight took no time in piling back on.
The summer of 2008 I was introduced to hCG and The Diet Cure book. I was hopeful after being hopeless for so long as I made numerous adjustments to my lifestyle and even managed to get Ornery to join me on this journey. At first I made great progress, losing the pound a day the program assured me I would. In the end I had done 9 or 10 rounds of the protocol and had lost a total of 150 lbs. I think I was at the lowest weight I had been since I delivered Elizabeth when I finally said, "ENOUGH!!"
The dramatic weight loss was life changing for me. I gained confidence, was interested in clothes for the first time ever, and did crazy things like wear make-up, earrings and even fix my hair. I joined Toastmaster's and whizzed right through the first book of speeches. Unfortunately, the rapid weight loss caused my body to cramp--some cramps so bad in my thigh that I passed out. They were excruciating and frequent, and a sure sign my body was not happy with something I was doing. I lost a lot of hair and had some other uncomfortable reactions. The diet was so restrictive that my social life dwindled to nil. We missed birthday parties, didn't eat at wedding receptions, and the list goes on and on.
HCG may indeed be all it was touted to be for some, but for Ornery and me it was simply the catalyst for permanent weight GAIN. Since then, Ornery and I have both put back on weight that we never had before. We are both bigger than ever and we both wish we had never done that program as it apparently altered something in our hormonal make up that has kept the weight from budging.
Now that you have some background information, I will get to the point of my
The other post was much more pointed at the physical appearance of a neighbor who unfortunately had failed to close her curtains before disrobing. More distressing than the post were the comments that followed, and it stirred in me some latent childhood angst against those who seem to believe that 1) fat people could control their situation, 2) that they somehow must be unaware of their state, 3) that they are worth less than those who do not struggle with the condition of their body storing fat instead of using it, and 4) that they should remain hidden out of sight.
I have spent the last two years huddled in my house, embarrassed to go out. When I do go out, I am self-conscious and uncomfortable. It is reflected in the way I interact with my neighbors and even sometimes my family. When my sister offers a suggestion about a way to improve my health or weight I snap at her, when I truly appreciate that she is concerned for me.
Unfortunately I have discovered that most of the accepted practices for weight control are ineffective in the long run, and are often detrimental to long term health. Standard medical opinions suggest that almost any illness can be helped by the loss of a few pounds--everything from high cholesterol to sleep apnea and insulin resistance/diabetes. If that was the case, thin people would not suffer from any of those conditions, yet clearly they do. Obesity is not a disease, it is a condition brought on by some other cause. It is the effect, not the cause of ailments. While a nominal weight loss may temporarily correct these conditions, it is not a long term fix, and eventually as the body reestablishes equilibrium, they tend to resurface, often more insidiously.
This January when I was "making my resolutions" I determined that 2012 was the last year I would be ashamed of my body. I have hated myself for my entire adult life. What is sad is that my physical appearance is such a small part of who I am. I have so much to offer in a relationship--love, generosity, compassion, kindness, creativity, joy and more. Yet I push people away because I don't want to be judged by my appearance or my inability to conquer this challenge. I also have a great deal of knowledge and wisdom gained from a lifetime of learning--not a college degree, but the school of LIFE. My unique attributes and skills have languished while I focus on making my body more socially acceptable.
Forty two years of my life have been wasted by being ashamed and focused on that part of myself, but I don't have the opportunity to share my history and anguish with a stranger who sees me out in a public place. I have to hope they haven't been conditioned to believe that only thin and beautiful people have a right to be seen in public. I pray they don't judge me as being stupid or lazy just because my body has decided to hold all the fat in case I decide to starve myself again.
So next time you are tempted to criticize that person (stranger or loved one) for being too fat (after likely a lifetime of self-deprivation and embarrassment), offer suggestions about a diet they might try (none of which work in the long term, and if anything promote obesity), ask if they should be eating that food (yes, they should, and without censure) you might instead consider conversing with them about what awesome quality they are hiding out of fear and shame.
Every person, without fail, has redeeming qualities. It is the act of a bully to point out a deficiency and laugh about it, but the act of maturity to look beyond the surface to see the good that resides in others. Who knows, you may discover that beneath that excess of fat there is an incredible person hiding. Let's put a stop to negative remarks about weight--whether your own weight or that of someone else--and delight in the remarkable people we are. When we show love for our fellow man and woman, we give them the gift of acceptance which frees them to return the gift.
Darn I had a whole response done and the page reloaded on me! :( Anyway, I totally understand where you are coming from. You and I must be around the same age. I was a bigger kid but not a fat kid, but i was teased by the tiny, skinny kids. My mom is such a food nazi that she put me on all kinds of strict diets and exercise when I was little. I was told to watch that exercise woman, Maggie, on PBS in the 70s and follow along. I was sent to Gloria Stevens, that exercise place, as a teen & I was so ashamed of it. My doctor told me that all those childhood diets permanently put my metabolism into starvation mode. That's why it's so hard for me to lose, despite diet & exercise.
ReplyDeleteA few years back I was working out religiously and dieting and I went up 2 pants sizes. I never went back. I never wanted to be naked w/ my now ex, b/c he'd always point out all the hot actresses he wanted to 'do' and it only destroyed my self image farther. I would constantly compare myself to other girls/women. 'oh good she's fatter than me...damn I wished I looked like her....' My fiance' is a chubby chaser and he says I'm the hottest woman he's ever known. I've never felt so comfortable w/ myself in my life. He makes me feel great about myself. He's a big guy too. Unfortunately he has a lot of health issues and has to be put on a strict diet. I am going to do the diet with him. I already eat pretty healthy, small portions and I do walk, but the weight doesn't come off. I'm prolly around 210 or more....he's 264 but he's 6'2" and I'm only 5'2".
Fat phobia and bullying b/c of it is unacceptable to me. I had what was a best friend a few years ago - she was an exercise nut to the point where she thought if she didn't work out she'd gain weight. We vacationed together a couple of times and had to factor in rigorous exercise time for her. The first time we went to Mt. Hood to Timberline Lodge. I hung out at the lodge taking pics while she hiked almost to the summit of the mountain! She dropped me in 2009, I can only assume b/c I was too fat for her to hang out with.
I follow a blog that you might want to start reading too, b/c she struggles with weight too and her journey of acceptance of herself the way she is. Like last summer when she bought a bathing suit and went to the beach, haters be damned. http://curvyladiesrule.blogspot.com/
Hang in there!
Thank you so much for your thoughtful response! I'll check out her blog. The blog that brought me to realize I was probably not going to overcome my obesity, and yet gave me hope I could increase my metabolism was http://180degreehealth.com/
DeleteI don't swear by everything he says, but his logic is pretty good, and he has lived through a lot of crazy diet and exercise things. He does a lot of research and has brought me a long way toward relaxing about what I eat.
tm
What a great post! Weight shaming is one of the things I refuse to let slide. If I hear someone doing it, even if it's not aimed at me, I just can't help myself from jumping in and having telling them off. 99 times out of 100 it says more about the person doing it than about the person it's aimed at.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Kellie! I don't think it ever occurred to me how rampant this was until recently. It has certainly been around a long time! You are right, any negative comments about others are usually a reflection of their own insecurities.
Deletetm
Wow, this is an amazing, personal post. Thank you for sharing your experiences. I wish we could all truly understand how complicated human beings really are. There is never a 'one size fits all' solution either physically or emotionally. We all just have to find what works for us, and hopefully run into caring, compassionate people along the way!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Jenny! It would be wonderful if we could truly understand each other, meanwhile we are all floundering trying to do the best we can with what we know. I don't hold it against a person when they make the comments, but I thought it might be a good idea to say how it makes others feel!
Deletetm
Well, i could say a lot . . BUT, you've already got all of it covered - so, I'm gonna add a lyric from a song written by Fred Small . . "All that matters of our words and our deeds is the Love we leave behind when we're gone."
ReplyDeleteThe other "Stuff" - all the "negativity" and drama - in the long run - is worthless.
Thank you for being so honest.
Love & Love,
-g-
Amen, Georgy! Thanks for the comment and always for your love! :)
Deletetm
I must confess. I have always made fat jokes. Many on my blog. Most of it was just trying to be funny. I never stop to think who it may be hurting. Sacrificing someone's feelings for a laugh. I apologize. I often look at obese people and wonder how they can let themselves get like that, not understanding the reasons that led them in that direction. I believe that it truly is a lack of self esteem on mine and others parts. I am sorry you had such trouble with your weight. I'm glad you posted this if only to open my eyes a little more. Growing up I was a middle child and no one ever really paid any attention to me. My awful stepmother even said I was the kid who never needed anything. I learned to be an introvert. As an adult I find myself craving attention. I love being in the spotlight. Everything I do has to be extreme so that people will look at me and say what a great kid! Maybe one day I will catch up on all the stuff I missed as a kid and finally grow up.
ReplyDeleteI really do believe there is an emotional and mental connection to many things we suffer as an adult that are related to the way we were raised. It's funny because I often stated that I would never let my past rule my future. Well that didn't happen. Thanks again for the post.
Your new friend,
-Bushman
Aw, Bushman. You made me cry! Thank you so much for the apology. You are right in that we are products of our upbringing, and what a great thing it is to know anything we have learned we can unlearn with something else!
DeleteSo glad you are my new friend. :)
tm
Could I suggest you break this very long post into 4 stages...4 times sorta in your life. It's so long most people aren't going to read it and then you've defeated your reason for posting it in the first place. I do think meal time is an important time in a families life, and things can be said that are hurtful; but sometimes as an adult I think we need to stop relieving those times. I don't agree that obesity is the last free for all. Many groups of people are belittled. That doesn't make it right, or less painful.
ReplyDeleteI'm thin, have never had a weight issue, not during pregnancy, but my darling daughter is obese so the thought about dieting when preg makes the child obese doesn't seem to fit.
If you're health is at risk, and it sounds like it is from several concerns you posted from Docs, why not have the gastric surgery? I've known several people who did beautifully with it. One would surely not have lived without having it done, as she had heart problems because of the weight making her diabetes worse etc..
This is a good post, important one. People should read it, but I think you can increase the changes of them reading if it's not as long.
Oozing Out My Ears
I appreciate your comment. I have taken one of your suggestions to rework the part that says it is "the last free for all." As for the rest of your comments, I would like to clarify.
DeleteI agree that meal time is important in a family's life. I didn't think my words indicated otherwise, merely that a blanket statement stating that the lack of it was a significant cause of obesity was not really encompassing enough. Since stress of one sort or another is known to be a huge contributor to the body's response to food and a cause for obesity, it should be noted that happy family dinners can help prevent that.
Again, dieting during pregnancy is merely one of a hundred variables that may lead to childhood obesity, and my point was to say that while I may have agreed with the doctor about keeping my weight off during pregnancy, I didn't eat excessively, so other than restrictive dieting, I don't know what I could have done differently to prevent the gain.
It is an important note to put in a post like this because there are many women who do diet during pregnancy for one reason or another, unknowingly presenting their unborn child with genetic markers that may debilitate them all its life. Stress, anger, fear and a host of others can create a toxic mix in the womb that affects the unborn as well, and may also contribute to childhood health issues and childhood obesity. (See, The Genie in Your Genes by Dawson Church and Health at Every Size by Linda Bacon)
As for the weight loss surgery, the risk is significant, and not one I am willing to take. I do not suffer from health issues, and am not sure what I wrote to make you think that. Doctors are always quick to say "lose some weight" no matter what the ailment, but I don't know that I have any of them, despite my size. If I knowingly did, I would seek alternative forms of care than something so invasive. The surgery is not a cure at all, merely a tool to aid in restricting caloric intake, and many who have had it go on to have a host of health issues and surgeries, and still more end up gaining back all the weight they lost, one m&m at a time. It ages the body significantly, and the healing process is incredibly long and painful. The risks involved are huge, and there are too many alternatives to improving ones health to take them, in my opinion. For every one person who is successful, I have heard of three or four who were not. Not good odds, in my book. If you doubt me, search for Lisa Sargese on YouTube.
Matt Stone at 180degreehealth.com has several excellent articles that revolutionized my view on food and dieting. I really think he saved my life. He is unconventional and sometimes crass, but I still recommend his site for those who have "tried everything" and failed.
tm
I read the entire post and didn't mind at all that it was long! Kudos to you for baring your soul. I'm not sure how I came across your blog, but I'm glad i did. I look forward to reading more. :)
Delete- andi
Thanks for stopping by my blog on your road trip! I decided to pay you a return visit!
ReplyDeleteYour post is quite moving. People seem to think it's okay to shame people who struggle with their weight, and I've never understood why. In my experience, it only seems to make matters worse. Since having my two boys, I've struggled with my weight. I know from firsthand experience that it's hard to feel good about myself when I know others are constantly judging me.
Hi, LG! Welcome to the Cottage!
DeleteThank you for your thoughtful comment. You are right in that negative comments make the situation worse. Even if the comment is not directed at me, I find that I always wonder whether they are thinking those things about me and just not saying them!
I heard somewhere that our self-image is not based on how we see ourselves, but how we perceive others see us. I don't know if it is true, but it sure seems like we base a lot of our self-view on what we think others think!
tm
This is a powerful post. It's easy to forget the power we have over others and how what are intended as harmless remarks are not always taken that way.
ReplyDeleteThank you for stopping by my blog today.
I had no problem with the length of your post, it told an important story and shows how hard you have tried over the years. I live with the same issue and at near sixty I doubt I will ever be back to my ideal weight. I want to be thinner and healthier, because excessive weight does lead to health problems down the road... knees, heart, etc., but I also want to love myself, and to accept myself as I am. I want other people to see that I am worthy regardless of how they rate my appearance. It is important, but it is not my priority, being the kind of person that I believe God wants me to be... that is my priority! Hugs and hearts to you for bringing this painful issue to the printed page, I too am sick of the notion that fat people deserve to be the targets of shaming.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Josie! I thought about paring the length but decided it is likely going to be read or not no matter the length. Your kind words really mean a lot to me.
Deletetm
This is a wonderful, moving post, and you make so many good points. I've been lucky enough not to have had weight problems in my life. Now I've put on some extra pounds as I'm getting older and I've been feeling bad about myself; your post puts my little worries in perspective. From your photo you are a lovely woman, and you're intelligent and loving as well. It's very sad that people will judge you harshly because of your weight. I'm glad you stopped by to visit my blog because now I've found yours, and I look forward to visiting again!
ReplyDeleteThank you for your kind words! I am glad you came to visit as well!
Deletetm
Ah Tracy, We are kindred spirits in our weight struggles as well. Thank you for exposing the bullies and challenging them to consider their actions. Thank you for encouraging those who struggle with weight and other issues to not let their that be what defines us. God bless, Maria at Delight Directed Living
ReplyDeleteThis was well thought out post and I am so glad that you shared it. I struggled with being overweight for so much of my childhood that even though I've lost the weight and have turned into a fairly fit and thing person I still have my moments that the old fears come creeping in. Love yourself because you deserve it.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for sharing, this was really well written. I do believe you are not just getting fat by the things you eat.
ReplyDeleteMy sister and I used to eat the same things at home at the same quantities growing up...and yet I always have been the skinny one and she is for some reason overweight. Nature!
What a courageous post. I read the whole thing. Im 50 yo. I developed cushings disease in my 20s and went up to almost 450 lbs. I had to stand up for myself quite a bit. Even in drs. offices I would hear the comments in the waiting room. I walked out of a psychiatry office once because this man who treated obese people didnt have a chair anyone of size could sit in. I posted it on my blog. I have since had brain surgery but will never be below 200lbs and I like you am coming to accept what I cannot change. Im ok with me and grateful for the opportunity to finish being me.
ReplyDeletewhat a great post, VERY courageous
ReplyDelete