My inability to readily absorb printed information may end up being a handicap in this book-keeping endeavor I have set myself to do. My SIL offered to lend me a couple of books on tax deductions, accounting and so forth for rental property income, but since I can't tell you the names of the main characters in a novel I finished yesterday, I am not sure reading them will do me much good. One apparently has a handy chart in the back that I may find helpful, however, so I will be happy to check them out when we get together next.
I ended up with Quicken for Rental Property Management, and I spent 30 (frustrating) minutes online with customer support chatting about how to make my life easier. Eventually --not because of what he said, but because I stumbled around long enough to figure it out on my own--I got my receipts entered. I can say it would have been MUCH easier to begin at the beginning of the year instead of trying to play catch up. But, for all that I am nearly caught up anyway! :) I hope at the end of the year the reports are easy to generate and read.
Now if we could make that much progress at 507! We have had rain and more rain, which makes it difficult to paint outside. It has stormed pretty much all day today, and yesterday evening we even got a healthy dose of small hail with the rain. Things are REALLY green today, and the flowers are loving the moisture. I wish there was a knob to balance out the rainfall so we might enjoy a spot of it when the days get hotter and a bit less right now when we so desperately need to be working outside.
We didn't have tornadoes near us, but others in the state were not so fortunate. Last I heard there were as many as 91 fatalities from the EF5 tornado that hit Moore, OK on Monday, but there seem to be conflicting reports on the actual number of confirmed deaths. Many of the deaths were elementary school children who perished when their schools were hit. There were several schools hit, and neighborhoods destroyed completely. Some houses were completely blown away, leaving only a bare foundation behind.
It is hard for me to fathom disasters of that magnitude, but one report I read said the twister tore through a 20 mile swath. Events such as this really bring life into perspective, don't they?
Those storms were so awful. I feel very bad for the people there. Having been in the 1989 SF earthquake, it's a humbling experience. Ma Nature Does. Not. Care. Not about your life, your stuff, your house, your city.....she does what she's gonna do. We can't control it.
ReplyDeleteSo true. There is no control, and when things come up so suddenly, it is really impossible to prepare. There were only about 15 minutes between the siren and the devastation. At least the death count has been reduced to 24, but early estimates say it may cost as much as $2 billion to recover. That is a lot of destruction!
Deletetm
My heart goes out to everyone affected by mother nature's cruel actions. It's events like that make sure I never take things for granted.
ReplyDeleteLovely blog - I hope the sun begins to shine down soon enough x
Thanks for dropping by, Kayspray! Thank you for your thoughtful comment. And today the sun is shining pretty like nothing dark had ever hovered overhead!
Deletetm
i have the same problem with books, so it isn't just me :)
ReplyDeleteglad to hear you are all safe over there!
Ditto the problem accounts give me, it's a job I loath. One of the many great reason for living on a little fruit farm in Brazil is that as a small producers we pay no income tax, nada, they like to encourage local growers. So no accounts as such, it's maybe worth living here for this alone:))
ReplyDeleteMother Nature is a hard mistress indeed, love to all affected.
Congrats on the A to Z post! Glad you missed the tornadoes
ReplyDelete