I come from a family of educators. Aunts, cousins, sister, grandmother, and others in the family have all been a part of the education system through the years. In addition to those who were involved in public education, there are quite a few of us who joined the elite ranks of home educators. In fact, both my sisters and I taught our children at home for part or all of their school years.
My middle sister who lives in Washington posted this on her blog. She is older than I am but is still teaching her youngest at home--a son who was born with Down's Syndrome.
One of her sons lives in Michigan and his wife Bethany is homeschooling their children (three so far) and is a part of this blog you may have missed. It isn't specifically related to homeschooling, but touches on various issues related to parenting written from a conservative perspective.
Bethany's sister Heather (both women were homeschooled as children) has this blog that does relate more toward homeschooling, and she has some excellent posts there.
I posted a link to this post on my friend Kris' Facebook timeline. :) She homeschools her kids too.
ReplyDeleteThanks for posting and linking to these sites. Sources of encouragement are always welcome!
ReplyDeleteHome schoolers, unite! Really, is there a better educational alternative? It's busy, insane, and so stinkin' awesome. =) We just finished paper mache-ing a 3 foot balloon (now measure that and you'll figure out what a beast it is), and will be building our "globe" one continent or country at a time as we learn about the world. Last year we learned about the human body, making full-sized paper models where the kids created a new organ or part each week while learning about their function. These are the kinds of things you can do when not trying to conform to a standardized curriculum. =)
ReplyDeletehomeschooled sounds awesome to me!
ReplyDeleteThe school system of today as designed to mould people into the 9- 5 life of a factory worker. In an era when we are returning to piecework (like free-lance writing), the dynamic of home schooling seems to make more sense. Our son is home schooling both of his children, while his wife has an excellent job at the university. I believe that tomorrow he makes his annual report on what he has done with the children in the past academic. And thy will go along to answer questions, and play their violins. In the past, the school board has used his report as a model for what other parents can use.
ReplyDeleteBlessings and Bear hugs!
Bears Noting
Life in the Urban Forest (poetry)
Blessings and Bear hugs!
Bears Noting
Life in the Urban Forest (poetry)
Homeschooling is not a common thing in Australia. I admire anyone who has the skill to teach homeschool.
ReplyDeleteJoJo: Thanks for sharing! I know your friend and hers will appreciate your thoughtfulness!
ReplyDeleteFOtN: You're welcome. :) Love you!
Crystal: Your school sounds awesome! We didn't get quite that creative, but we certainly had some good times!
Poke: Yar, it is great fun and builds relationships unlike any other.
Rob Bear: Each state has its own laws relating to homeschooling. Oklahoma is one of the best in the nation as far as the parents are concerned. There are (or were when I was teaching) no reporting requirements and parents are free to pursue any form of education they like, from rigid school at home to the free flowing un-schooling which can take some pretty inventive paths! That is great that your son is teaching his kids. I have known other dads to take the lead role in the homeschool through the years.
Lynda: I wouldn't say it is common here either, but there are certainly pockets of homeschoolers. As our education system veers farther away from teaching basic academics and life skills, bringing them home has been the most logical and cost effective way of educating our kids.
tm