Tuesday, April 23, 2013
A to Z Blogging: T is for Tornadoes
Last Wednesday night was a wild weather night for us here in the Tulsa, OK area. I had worked hard all day and was really tired. I usually sleep really well in the rain, but around midnight and again at 1:00 the tornado sirens went off. Between the sirens and the thunder, I didn't get much sleep.
I have lived in Oklahoma for over 30 years and for all the times I have heard the sirens, I have never actually seen a tornado. We have driven through the paths of a few tornadoes, and witnessed the devastation they can bring about. I am glad I have never seen one up close and personal.
Have you ever seen a tornado?
This post is part of a blog hop. Check out other participants by clicking the link on my side bar.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I never have. We've only had a few tear through our area of Michigan. I remember hiding in the basement a few times, but we've been lucky.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.m5carolin.blogspot.com/2013/04/thireenth-birthday.html
When my kids were little they would go hide in the bathroom with blankets pillows, etc. I have never done that, although I do stay away from windows. It seems like it would be a rather adventurous way to go, eh? :)
Deletetm
Don't have them here thankfully. So nope never seen one, and don't want to.
ReplyDeleteDon't blame you a bit! That is how I feel about hurricanes, which I suppose are similar to tornadoes except for all the water involved. I might melt!
Deletetm
You know, I never saw one until living in Florida. (And only in the distance, thank goodness.) Growing up in the mountains, we didn't really deal with tornados, but man did we deal with snow. Lots of it. =)
ReplyDeleteNot a big fan of the white stuff, but I suppose it is less dangerous than an F5 tornado unless there is an avalanche. You sure have lived a lot of places!
Deletetm
Living in the UK, we are lucky to only get pretty benign weather. I couldn't imagine what it would be like to be caught up in a tornado.
ReplyDeletecoffintreehill.tumblr.com
I have often thought having less exciting weather would be a pleasant thing, but I sorta like all the other aspects of living here so I guess I'll put up with the crazy stuff too. I do envy you your benign weather though.
Deletetm
PS thanks for visiting!
Just stopping by from the A-Z Challenge list to say "Hi" :)
ReplyDeleteScary!!!! Im glad we don't have them here!
Good luck with the rest of the challenge.
xx
Thanks for the visit, Vikki!
Deletetm
I've only seen one and guess where that was. California. Yep. It swooped down from behind the house took out a tree, imploded my neighbor's window and headed down the canyon. California is only supposed to have earthquakes, right?
ReplyDeleteWell, I thought Oklahoma was supposed to be earthquake free, but we have had quite a few over the last couple of years. We get BONUS to have them both, right? :)
Deletetm
I live in Kansas so I am in Tornado Alley right along with you. I have never seen a tornado either. That is because I am hiding when they come through!
ReplyDeleteoh wow! we don't really have tornados here in germany or ireland but we got bad storms and twisters, hope all is safe and sound!
ReplyDeleteI live where tornadoes are expected every year - This last few years they have visited terrain so close that when i travel in any direction - I'll see the destruction. I'm from the Southwest, and not yet accepting of this wild expression of nature.
ReplyDeleteAND - I haven't figured out what the sirens mean - people who have lived here all their lives aren't sure - and, when the sirens go ff . . they do nothing . . . humans - we are so strange.
-g-
Wow! Scary stuff. Glad you're safe.
ReplyDeleteHaven't seen one up close either and I too am glad. Maria from Delight Directed Living
ReplyDeleteI have come close, but always take shelter at the last moment. I have seen their destruction, thought.
ReplyDeleteYes. I live in the "tornado alley" part of Iowa. I've heard way too many sirens and seen way too much damage! Happy A-to-Z 2013! ~Angela, Whole Foods Living, http://www.wholefoodsliving.blogspot.com/
ReplyDeleteI absolutely love wild weather, but I guess that's easy for me to say because where I live we never get particularly deadly weather. Destructive, yes, but usually nobody expects that a storm will kill them.
ReplyDeleteI have driven through OK in tornado-ish weather, but didn't see a tornado.
I've only ever seen tornados in films or on the news, they look incredible but terrifying. I can't imagine ever having to drive through one or the destruction and devastation they leave.
ReplyDeleteHi Ornerys' Wife .. I think I'd hate to see a tornado - we've had a few little ones here ... and we see your aftermath on the tv quite often and the tornado chasers ..
ReplyDeleteGlad you're safe - but doesn't do the sleep pattern much good .. chers Hilary