Pages

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

A to Z Blogging: H is for Hinge

One of the thousand or so tasks I have found at 507 (our new rental property) to occupy my time is cleaning off the paint from the hinges.

First let me say that if you are ever inclined to simply paint over the hinges on cabinets or doors in an effort to "save time" just don't. It is not pretty. The paint does nothing to enhance the property (which is what painting is supposed to do). It is NOT a time saver, because somewhere down the line some OCD person someone is going to have to clean all that accumulated paint off the hinges.

Really, do yourself a favor and just say no to painting the hinges!!

In case you are wondering how such a task might be accomplished, I can tell you that a Google search led me to understand that the best and most efficient way was to cook the little buggers in a crock pot overnight in a solution of water and either vinegar or dishwasher soap.

Well, I didn't have either of those at 507, but I did buy a crock pot for the sole purpose of disengaging the old yucky paint from the hundreds of hinges around the place.  I had some Dawn dish soap, so I used a bit of it in the crock pot which I allowed to simmer for about 4 hours.

It is true that the paint sort of falls off, but not all of it, which necessitates a lot of scraping and rubbing, but eventually I managed to get all the cabinet hinges washed off.  Unfortunately my OCD tendencies would not allow me to leave the screws painted, so those are a work in process.

It is truly enough to unhinge an old gal! :D

9 comments:

  1. Well, at least the hinges will get a good scrub.
    Good luck, I hope there aren't too many left!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed reading the post and especially the Crock Pot tip. :) Our winter project included painting, but not the cupboards. Right now we are in the process of remodeling our bathroom which included hanging new drywall. I'll be so glad when it is over. Have a Happy Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very funny, and a great line at the end. I'll take your advice and not paint over the hinges. Talk about painting, we painted our kitchen recently and that was way too much work. Next time, I think I'll hire a painter. :)
    Fun H post.
    Silvia @ Silvia Writes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the advice on not to paint hinges. I'll keep that in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great advice and tips on how to remove paint from hinges!

    Kathy
    http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. :::groan::: I really need to paint my house, inside and out! I don't think I'll paint any hinges, though. Thank you!! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, cleaning paint off of hinges, unhinges the lady that wasn't hinged in the first place? I think we took the cabinet doors off by removing the hinges from the cabinet first. I don't remember for sure though, that was 6 1/2 yrs ago. We weren't even painting, but were scrubbing, and it was easier to scrub the doors with them flat rather than hanging vertically. Thanks for stopping by the blog. See you soon. When you finish with 507. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what a lot of work. Almost seems easier to buy new hinges. Interesting though. And funny - your OCD strike thru

    Thanks for checking out my AtoZ.
    Rhonda @Laugh-Quotes.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi ONW .. gosh that is one labour of love .. and you're only renting! A cousin's daughter is getting married and one of her presents was 3 brass door handles - not sure why 3! I bought them ... and now to the mystery of the three!

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us! We really appreciate it.