Pages

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

A to Z Blogging: C is for Creating Cards

I started scrapbooking in 1989.  My first album contained about a million photos all cropped to the most essential elements, hundreds of Mrs. Grossman's stickers and journaling in every color pen imaginable.  It was the beginning of an era for me that has morphed into all sorts of interesting side hobbies.

A few years later a scrapbook store opened in the shopping center where I went to Curves every morning, and I thought I had arrived at the portal of heaven on earth.  Eventually I got a job there, more to offset the expense of my enormous appetite for printed papers, three dimensional stickers, and a multitude of tools and embellishments I had never even imagined existed, much less could be used for paper crafting.

Eventually, my kids grew up and left home and my best friend and scrapbooking buddy died of cancer and I lost interest in putting photos in albums. Since I had accumulated obscene amounts of materials, I had to figure out a use for them.  Enter my second favorite thing--greeting cards.

Is there anything as splendid as getting a card in the mail?  It doesn't matter to me if there is a reason (birthday, anniversary, holiday) or not, I love sending and receiving mail in an envelope.  So, I started with the copious piles of scraps I had leftover from all my albums and began making birthday cards for the family.  Eventually I made them to sell, opened an Etsy shop, and have continued to create them through the years.  According to many recipients, they are nice enough to horde as keepsakes.

Here are a few of the cards I have made that rank among my personal favorites, although to be fair, I have only made a few I didn't really like. :)





I have a separate blog for my creative pursuits, although I admit I haven't updated it in a while, but if you are interested in scrolling through some of my other artistic endeavors, I invite you to browse here.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tm. Love your cards. I have oodles of supplies myself and wish I could spend more time creating as you do. My daughter uses them more often than I do. Sorry about your friend's cancer. That must have been a difficult time in your life. Glad you have been able to find another wonderful creative outlet in card making. You are right. It is splendid to get a card just because in the mail. God bless, Maria from Delight Directed Living

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love handmade cards. I've done some scrapbooking and like the idea of trying my hand at cards, but feel like I don't need more hobbies : ) Maybe if I get my scrapbooking caught up? Good luck with the challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us! We really appreciate it.