(Somehow after I wrote this I put the wrong date on it. When I published it I couldn't find it... then I did find it and changed the date and thought that would save it for later, but lo and behold, it put the new date on and it showed up like a time-travel post (hence the comments dated days ago!) Trying again for my N post!)
Ornery and I have lived in a few neighborhoods since we were married, but recently we have noted that the more expensive the houses (and higher the income of the residents) the less inclined toward neighborliness the occupants seem to be.
After sixteen years at our last house, we hadn't really made any friends--which was one of the many deciding factors when it came time to move. We walked a lot there, and even tried to befriend several people, but for some reason no one had any time or inclination to socialize.
The house before Miller Manor was in a fairly new neighborhood, but by the time we moved out we knew the names of every resident in all fifty homes. We had block parties and entertained friends from the 'hood on a frequent basis. The homes were less expensive, and the residents less affluent.
When we moved to Zoe Cottage, I had hoped we would make some friends, but for some reason (maybe we are just really strange?) those we have met and made overtures toward have not reciprocated in any way. Oh, they wave when we drive by or are outside, but no neighborhood bar-b-ques have come close to happening! I even took homemade caramels and a hand-made ornament to each of the four closest homes our first Christmas here and didn't even hear a "thank you" or receive a card in return. Hmph.
The reason this came to light is because once we bought 507 and started working over there, I noticed how friendly those neighbors were toward us--bringing over donuts, visiting through the fence, etc. It is a much older neighborhood and the homes much less expensive than the one where Zoe Cottage is planted. In many ways I envy our future renters, for no matter how lovely my home is, sometimes it can be pretty lonely.
What is your neighborhood like? Do you have lots of friends and acquaintances there or are you isolated?
This post is part of a blog hop called A to Z Blogging Challenge. There are many, many other participants, and you are invited to hop over here and check out some of the others. Thanks for dropping by!

We have super nice neighbors. We do the whole "talk through the fence thing", share extras from the garden and chat on Facebook when the weather is too cold to be outside. I guess I should count myself lucky! Happy A-to-Z 2013! ~Angela, Whole Foods Living, http://www.wholefoodsliving.blogspot.com/
ReplyDeleteyes!!! This is happening all over. Our society has become a new version of "the great divide." It makes blogging even more precious - because we are the new, 21st century neighbors.
ReplyDeleteYou MAKE Caramels? If i were standing in front of you, I'd do the kid routine, "I'm Not Worthy!" Honest - I'm super impressed.
My day today got rearranged - last night, when i realized my plans were not to be - I felt the smallest bit frustrated - BUT, the change turned out to be better anyway - because the weather here is , , well - this ISN'T what i wanted to tell you . . I got to wait for a bus - it was going to be 20 minutes - SO, i walked in to a store that usually has caramels in a jar - on the counter . . . Only, they have replaced the caramel jar with bowls of standard brand mini candy bars. . . so, disappointed, i went to wait for Metro. AND - there are a couple of independent companies here that hand make caramels - Two places i go - have tempting treats.
ALL of those extra words to try and convey how REMARKABLE I think it is that YOU Make Caramels.
Happy, Tuesday, April 16th A to Z in advance day!!!
Love & Love,
-g-
Crap apartment building here I fear. But how the heck did you post on the 16th? Are you a time traveler or something? Wow haha
ReplyDeleteWhoa!! A time travelling post. Most excellent! My neighbors mainly stay to themselves, but that's ok, I'd rather that then neighbors who are trouble!
ReplyDeleteAfter living many years at Shagri La Trailer Park for many years and barely getting outta there with our lives we bought a home in a nice development. It's mainly a semi retired and retired community. I love it here! No fuss'n, fight'n or feud'n- stuff like that! After living so many years in a trailer park when moving here I just wanted to be left alone! Now we do have one neighbor that is trying most of the time, but all neighborhoods needs at least one of those kind! Enjoyed your posting!
ReplyDeleteour neighborhood is fairly quiet. When we first moved here 22 years ago, it was full of kids. They've all grown up now and moved on. Most people are working and not home during the day, so we don't mix like we used to. When we were in the Air Force, we had the best neighborhoods. Families in the same boat, I guess!
ReplyDeleteWe live in a rural area, we know our neighbors, wave as they drive by but we don't hang out with them. We do however drop off a little something baked to anyone new on the block (just as a hello) not because we necessarily we want to hang out.
ReplyDeleteWe are very friendly with some of our neighbors, mostly the ones who moved into the neighborhood around the same time. Others are just standoffish. And we've not had such good luck with the rentals on the street.
ReplyDeleteHave fun with A to Z!
Jenny at Choice City Native
you and i should live in the same neighborhood; i will be an empty nester in less than two years and that thought fills me with dread. My best neighborhood girlfriend moved away last year or so and the place just isn't the same. I long for the days of one of my old 'hoods where I always kept the kind of flavored teas that my visitors liked. i welcome drop in visitors. so far, all i get is drop in cats, whom Cleo Cat won't tolerate; and ants.
ReplyDeleteWe've had the same 4 neighbors for 30 years. I hope I don't have to break in new neighbors. We're like an extended family at this point!
ReplyDeleteConnie
A to Z-ing
Peanut Butter and Whine
awh the 507 neighbourhood sounds lovely. we have good neighbours, they are students but they are actually very considerate most of the time. i can shout in German at them because they speak it very well hoho
ReplyDeleteMost of our neighbors moved away several years ago, and things are not the same. Fortunately, there's a wonderful family who live down the street. Hope things get friendlier in your neck of the woods.
ReplyDeleteJulie
My husband is a UM pastor and so we move often. I have noticed the same phenomenon that you have--the more affluent the neighborhood the less neighborly the neighbors. I miss the places where neighbors gathered on front porches in the evenings and no matter what came up in life you could always depend on a neighbor to volunteer to feed the cat when you went away or to bring you dinner when they found out you were sick. Like you, we have tried to reach out but were made to feel like we were intruding. It is sad, really.
ReplyDeletePraying for you!
Blessings!
Pam at 2 Encourage