Pages

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Weekend in Review: Three Saw Saturday

Saturday we had breakfast at Panera and made a list of things we needed to do this weekend. It seemed pretty insurmountable, but we just put on the blinders and plowed through.

Errands were first.

  • mail etsy order
  • grocery shopping
  • Lowe's for lumber
  • library 
Once we got home:
  • finish off two wooden stocking ornaments
  • make bead garland and finish book tree on stand (took about an hour to string those tiny beads!)
  • glitter clothespins for goody bags
  • cut lumber for winter porch decor 
  • cut covers for cookie cookbooks
  • paint final coat on end table (can't believe I am STILL working on that thing!)
  • re-assemble end table
  • paint porch decor lumber
  • sand both and stain one pine basket
  • glue one basket
  • cut circle for base of hurricane lamp
  • make candle ring on foil covered circle
Here is the book tree on its stand and the hurricane inside the candle ring I made. I used a piece of foil covered masonite on the bottom.  I added a piece of felt on the table side of the circle to protect the surface of a table since the foil can scratch things up. Then, using my hot glue gun, I added all the greenery stuff. I started with two picks that had silver stuff on them and one branch of pine. I used up all the parts except one little bit of greenery from the silver picks. At the heart of the ring is a small silver votive holder glued to the middle of the circle. The hurricane just sits on top.

The cost was minimal for both projects. The glassware was from the craft day I did with Mickie a few weeks ago. It was all from the dollar store except the hurricane which she had leftover from a wedding or something. The tree was a paperback on hand, the topper was $1.00, the beads were $3.00 but I have over 1/2 the package left. The picks were on sale for 1/2 price, so I have about $5.00 in the candle ring, including the felt, foil, and wood.  They are both prizes for the ornament/cookie exchange. 

We mostly worked together on all of the projects. Ornery did some of the stuff and I did some, but for the most part we both had our hands in all the projects. By 7:00 PM I had glitter on my glitter and we were both beat--of course we did start the day awfully early!

Sunday I woke up before Ornery (which is rare these days!) and started on a little project I saw on Pinterest. By the time he got up I was most of the way through it...
Isn't he cute??  I had two of these done by 6:30! They started out as cheap $1. paint brushes. I added paint, ribbon, trim and embellishments.

After breakfast, we spent some time out in the Man Cave working on various projects--mostly the two little baskets for the exchange prizes.  These are pine, and were the trial run for the oak he made the baskets out of for gifts. I have decided there is a reason pine is cheap and not so desirable. I sanded and sanded and ... well, I finally got one smooth enough to put the finish on.

Ornery was working on gluing the other one while I worked. I was really disappointed in the staining--I think it was because of the cheap wood, but part of it was that despite all my sanding, there were still little barbs sticking up all over. That was the one Ornery was gluing while I put the finish on the unstained larger one. Once the glue dries, I will sand it all again and see what it looks like. I may end up adding ribbon to the outside and making a liner for the inside to cover it up!

After lunch I made a couple of thank you cards and Ornery took pictures of the crafts I made this week to post on the etsy shop.  While we were eating lunch someone bought a domino--they have been hot items this week!  So I got that all wrapped up and ready to send out in the morning.

We decided to wait on the hall bathroom project until a later time. I am a little overwhelmed with all the crafting I still need to do. I am making 12 cookie cookbooks, and they are going to be fairly labor intensive. Of course, it could be for naught if no one else sends me their recipes!  Around 2:00, Mickie came by to lend me some stamps for the project. We had a nice visit, as usual! :)  I wasn't able to use her stamps, so I am back to the drawing board for my design. Oh, well.

This week I have five messages to edit, cookbooks to finish and a couple other projects to complete. I made huge strides this weekend and feel so much more comfortable with my position going into this week...or I will be once I finish the laundry and get some meal plans made!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us! We really appreciate it.