Pages

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Weekend in Review: Looks like Christmas

Elizabeth arrived early Saturday morning and we spent the day putting up Christmas trees. We started in the library where we put a small tree on top of a file cabinet in front of the window.  We don't put outdoor lights up, but so I figured a lighted tree in the window would at least let people know we celebrate Christmas! We used white lights and the snowmen decorations on that tree, and on the tall slimline tree in the living room we used colored lights and all the other ornaments.

After we finished the library and moved into the living room to work, we put a movie on to watch while we (Elizabeth) worked.  She is magical with tree fluffing and stringing lights. We watched both Princess Diaries movies and Sydney White before the evening was over.  Between the dust from the trees and boxes of ornaments and all the videos, my eyes felt like they had been rolling around on sand paper by bedtime.

I am going to have to think a while about where I want to put the remainder of my meager collection of decorations. I got rid of a lot of things several years ago, and even more when we got ready to move. I haven't really wanted to buy anything else, but I am not terribly excited about my current collection, either. Part of my problem is that I don't have a place to put the things I take down to replace with the Christmas stuff. I also happen to like the feel of the room with the things I have up, so I am not too keen on messing with a good thing.

I haven't bought Christmas decor except ornaments in quite a while.  I used to buy a new ornament for each person every year. The last couple of years I have made those instead of purchasing them, and have added several new ones to our collection from the ornament exchanges as well.  But I used to have garlands and all sorts of dust catcher type things that perched on shelves, mantles and counters.  I don't even have a decent wreath anymore! Ornery and I discussed it and both came to the conclusion that just putting up our Christmas trees might be sufficient this year.

Sunday we had a leisurely start with a late breakfast and more visiting with Elizabeth, who left around 10:00 to go home to get a few things done to get ready for the week ahead. The only things we accomplished after she left were to make a grocery list, purchase the things on it and put them all away.  The laundry is started, but finishing that is all I have planned for the rest of the day.

It has gotten cold and cloudy today; never even warmed up past 40 all day I don't think. I have spent a lot of the day under a blanket, which is where I intend to finish out the afternoon with a good book.

Tomorrow I will resume the hectic pace of pre-holiday life with cooking and cleaning, putting away the boxes from the decorations, finishing off the porch decoration I started, and hopefully drawing the design and painting the top of my end table. It is the last big project remaining to be finished.  There are plenty of things I have yet to begin, but I like to clear off my plate before piling it full again!  I am giving myself three days to finish everything, but the house needs to be in good shape by tomorrow afternoon since we are hosting a pre-Thanksgiving family pizza night. If not for that, I might have lived in my pj's until Wednesday! :)

1 comment:

  1. hey, you can do projects in your pjs. I think that's my plan for this week. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us! We really appreciate it.