Pages

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Weekend in Review: Lazy

Saturday morning I slept in until 7:00!! When I woke up I panicked a little bit because that is when we are supposed to start drinking our lemonade.  Ornery whipped it up in no time, and by the time I had brushed my teeth and gotten back to the kitchen, he had it almost ready. Whew!!  I don't know what time he got up, but he was already dressed by 7:00.

I fixed pancakes for breakfast, this time with spelt flour and added pumpkin, cinnamon and allspice. Yum!  The pumpkin made them more filling so we didn't eat as much. For lunch I tried to add some vegetables to the hamburger meat. By the time I was done, the patties wouldn't stay together for anything! I added carrots, onions, red pepper and okra--thinking that if it was well disguised we might not notice it. I chopped everything really fine with the food chopper, but I guess I put too much in there. I decided I will use the remaining meat for pasta sauce.

I got an email early in the morning from an etsy customer wanting a special order of six patriotic dominoes. Yay!  I only have one in stock, but parts to make the rest, and dominoes already drilled.  She doesn't need them until December (I love people who plan ahead!) but I like to get things done as quick as I can.

After breakfast, we drove over to a place we have been eyeing for several months and never made it into called Grogg's Green Barn.  It is an organic gardening center.  We met the owner and he took us all around showing us many wonderful things for the organic gardener.  They have classes there, and we just missed some held the day before that we would have really enjoyed.  Oh, well.  Hopefully they will offer them again.  When we got home we spent some time discussing our garden and yardscape plans. I have some big plans! :)

After a little nap, Ornery mowed the yard and I perused Craigslist for some free stuff for the garden.  I found some food-safe drums to use for a rain catchment system for $15.00 each, so we drove out to Bixby to pick up a couple of them.  The guy works for an olive processing plant and gets them from work.  They smelled quite olive-y!  We have been watching the rain barrels at Whole Foods and Lowe's for quite a while, but just couldn't ever find the $119.00 each in the budget to buy them.  I am really glad we waited, now!  Eventually I would like to have about six of them--that should get us through a lot of the summer watering our garden without having to pay for the water, and rain water is so much better for the plants than the highly chlorinated stuff that comes out of the hose.

I also found a source for free horse manure--already piled up so all we have to do is shovel it in the pick-up, as opposed to mucking out stalls and the like. :)  We will probably go out there in a couple weeks once we get the beds built.

Sunday morning was Ornery's first day without coffee.  He was a little groggy all through the sermon so he went back to bed. The wind has been blowing for days, which aggravated his allergies a bit, so that didn't help him to be real alert, either.  The day progressed much the same, with periodic naps and monosyllabic conversations. :)

We started our citrus enzyme cleaner this morning!  To make it cut up orange and lemon peels to equal about 2.5 cups.  Cut them small enough to fit into a two liter plastic bottle.  Mix 7 T brown sugar with 1 liter of water and pour it in on top of the peels.  Cover and shake to mix well.  Write the date three months from today on the front, loosen the lid to allow gasses to escape while it ferments (so it doesn't explode) and put it aside for three months.  When it is done, strain out the peels and put them in your garden, and your cleaner is ready to use.

I am excited to use it--for one thing it is almost free to make, and it is supposed to be one of the best all purpose cleaners around. I plan to use it (diluted) for my dishes so I can pour the dishwater onto my plants. It supposedly helps fertilize as well as prevent insects.  After the huge infestation of fruit flies we have been having, I am doubly interested in that aspect!

I got the etsy order finished and ready to mail.  Here are a couple pictures...
 I managed to make each one different and stay with the Patriotic theme. I hope she likes them!
I wrapped each one in a little piece of tissue paper and added a little tie with my new baker's twine.  I will be using it for a very long time, since I ordered twice! I couldn't find the first order anywhere, and it took a long time to arrive with no notifications of shipment or anything, so I ended up ordering just the red from a different place--much cheaper than the first for about 10 times as much product. I will have red baker's twine for many years!

I also used some twine on one of the stocking ornaments I finished this weekend...
 This was a special order.  I don't have any more curly hangers and couldn't find any at Hobby Lobby where I purchased them before, so I made beaded wire loops for the regular hangers to go in.  The backs of these last few ornaments are painted white, then glazed with glitter glaze to give them shimmer.
I also made this ornament this weekend. The toe broke off, but it is busy enough that you don't really notice the lack of bells.  Ornery says he will drill a new hole for me.  I would like to be able to photograph the new ones for my etsy shop, but the only camera we have doesn't really work as well as the broken one.  We'll see if we can make it work.  If so, I should have several new listings up later this week.  There are four other new ones that are really too cute!

Since we were both so lazy all day, we didn't accomplish anything else.  Later we will have to go to the grocery store for tomorrow's lemons, but I don't think either of us is very interested in doing so!

My plan for this week is to start on the editing project that I have put off for a month. I have got to get some big things crossed off my list!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us! We really appreciate it.