Pages

Monday, October 17, 2011

Clean Pantry

After buying out Whole Foods and Reasor's on Sunday, we had quite a mess trying to put everything away. I manned the cold bags while Ornery emptied the pantry items.  He mentioned that my pantry was a mess and that it didn't seem very well organized, so I got him to help me organize it and make a better system.  We shuffled stuff to other cupboards and moved a few things onto the floor to make room, then we set things up in a more logical fashion. We didn't get rid of anything, just rearranged it.  Now the flours are all together, the sweeteners are all together, and there is a better system for everything else.

This morning I was up early (3:30) and got busy. I made chili a roast in the crock pot for chimis, I did a follow-up call with my RBTI consultant, scheduled the marking of our utilities for the garden beds and discussed the wood we bought over the weekend with the man at the lumber yard. Cedar is FOUR TIMES as expensive as the treated lumber, and the plain pine is cheaper.  I don't know what to do, because I really don't want to have to build new boxes every few years, and I sure don't want to attract termites to the property! On the other hand, I could only afford to build one or two boxes of cedar... This evening the idea came to me to use cinder blocks--I'll look into that later this week. Ornery wasn't too keen on the idea, saying they take up too much space in the yard, but I noted that you could use the holes as little planters for things like strawberries or other small plants. They would be cute with flowers in them.

I also called the dirt company and got a quote for 4 yards of garden soil. The hauling is almost as expensive as the dirt! I had a nice visit on the phone with my sister, and finished off the laundry from the weekend. It seems like I wasted a good bit of time, as well.

This evening after dinner, Ornery and I grabbed our blankets and sat out on the porch for a while enjoying the beautiful stormy evening. It was windy and the air was brisk. We rocked in our chairs until we were sleepy. He went to bed, and I stayed up for a while--not our usual pattern!  Tomorrow I plan to do something--anything--because today felt like a wasted day. I have so many projects waiting for my attention, I just need to pick one and do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us! We really appreciate it.