I have been thinking about it since we moved last May, but after a recent conversation with my sister in WA, I have decided to take the dive into a new name for my etsy business. There are two options available there, either change the name of the shop you currently have or open a different one. I thought about it a long time, but decided to start fresh. If I didn't have one negative feedback (that can't be removed) I would have just changed the name and gone on from there, but since so few customers give feedback, one negative really stands out in my percentage of happy customers. I may have felt differently about the change had I made hundreds of sales there instead of just 40 or so.
I plan to send a letter to all my former customers inviting them to my grand opening, which probably won't be until March or so. I'd like to make this shop really fun and special. I am working on some design ideas for a logo and product marking, and have been studying marketing strategies. I am going to leave the things listed on Miller Manor Designs until the listings expire, but once I get Zoe Cottage stocked, I plan to do a big launch of my new stuff at the new shop.
I made nine little paper dresses yesterday for some new cards. The cards are quite time consuming even though the dress folding part isn't difficult. Perhaps if I didn't have such big fingers and could tie the tiny bows easier, I might shave some time off. I also sew the little hangers on the card, so that takes time in addition to coming up with design ideas, which I try to always change up from one project to the next. If I can find some other suitable papers to use for them, I may make some dresses to sell by themselves (as opposed to putting them on cards.) If I do more than just a few, I will need to find a source for tiny embellishments and very thin ribbons.
I have also been toying with the idea of a shadow box with a larger dress and a name in it. In that case, the decorating options are much more varied since I don't have to be so conscious of paper thickness or size for the ribbon, buttons, and other embellishments. Custom shadow boxes will be one of the new offerings, as well as more wood projects from Ornery's shop.
Once I have mastered the twinkling H20's (class starts next week!!) I hope to come up with some fun designs of my own for cards (as opposed to using purchased papers) and have the originals printed as sets. Many artists do this, and it opens up many possibilities for sales outlets in addition to etsy. I can't do it using copyrighted papers, though.
Speaking of etsy shops, Elizabeth has sold her first six shawls plus one on the loom. Her shop will be empty in a few weeks and she will have to start all over again! A woman at her work is purchasing them for a women's event at her church in February. I don't know if she is buying them for gifts or auction items, but either way even though Elizabeth had to drop her price a little bit, it is a great start for her little shop! It will give her enough income to buy yarn for many more shawls in preparation for the craft show we plan to do this fall.
My customer paid the balance for the shadow box last night, so I am off to mail it today, then to Office Depot to buy shipping tape and run a few other errands. It seems like there is always something to do!
Sounds like a good plan, all of it!
ReplyDelete