Pages

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Weekend in Review: Greening the hall

We got a late start Saturday morning by having breakfast at Mimi's cafe (ran out of eggs, Ornery can't have sugar or yeast so no Panera) at 8:00.  By the time we had finished eating, we had drawn out the plans for a scrap bin, which will be Ornery's first table saw project. From there we went to Hobby Lobby to buy a few things for an idea I have for an old birdcage Mickie gave me, then to Lowe's for supplies for both projects.

While we were at Lowe's I picked up the book I had been eyeing for several months about painting with color. The rooms in it are so vibrant and alive! It gave me several ideas, and after seeing all the green in the big area of the house, Ornery said he might be re-thinking the green bathroom we had planned. Nothing is ever set in stone when it comes to paint on the walls--not even after it is done! We will experiment with some other ideas for both the living room ceiling and our bathroom.

We didn't get home until 11:00. We puttered around for a little bit, then took a nap. After lunch we finally started getting the hall ready for painting, and actually began application at 3:00.  I got all but a small area of the walls painted with the roller and Ornery got one coat on the ceiling. No cut work except a short run along the ceiling--that is the time eater. We didn't work at it for too long--until about 5:30--then stopped for the day. We grilled burgers (no buns) and had them with sliced tomatoes and potato salad for dinner, then had a bath/shower and listened to the sermon online.

This morning, we got a little earlier start, although Ornery was really unmotivated to get back at it. We worked pretty steadily through the morning, with a quick Lowe's run thrown in for Ornery to pick up some more paint for me.  I finished rolling the green (most of it needed two coats, so it took longer than I thought it would) and did a little trim work.  Then I printed out the words we will be painting on the hall wall and did all the calculations to figure out where to begin and how much space will be required, how high to put it on the wall, etc.  It was quite a bit more math than I am accustomed to using!  It seems I have been doing quite a bit of drawing of plans and calculating this weekend!

For the words, I have paraphrased two verses from John, 3:17 and 10:10.  The words will run along the hall wall just beneath the framed posters of macro-photographed flowers. It will say:
God did not send His son to condemn the world... Jesus came so we can have real and eternal life: more and better life than we ever dreamed of.
The font I chose is called Organic Elements, and it is really pretty. I just hope we can get it on the wall as cleanly as it needs to be to look good.  We decided to use a deep red/orange color for the words--at least that is the plan for now. We will decide how it looks once we get it up there.

The studio table was quite a disaster with five or six projects in progress on it, so I took a little time to clear that off so Ornery could set up for taking some photos of the ornaments I made last week. While I was at it I decorated a Z with some paper flowers I made a few weeks ago, filled the holes on the frame Ornery built for my clock dishes, and drew the pattern onto four more pieces of wood for him to cut some more little stockings out later in the week.

I am thinking about making several different styles of Z wall ornaments and hanging them outside our room. :)

Once that was done (Ornery ran out of the ceiling paint and was working on the green cut work) I painted for a few minutes while he set up for my photo shoot. (Post is here)  Then he primed my birdcage for me.  I was all set to do it when he offered. Sweet guy (or else he is afraid something might be ruined by the over spray...)

Now I am off to do some laundry and figure out what to fix for dinner. It has been a fun and busy weekend, but we got a lot accomplished, even if we didn't finish all we set out to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us! We really appreciate it.