SATURDAY:
Since Ornery had been painting the ceiling in the dining room during the week, that room had a pretty good start Saturday morning when we began working. He had applied two full coats to the main part and partially cut in one coat along the edges. After breakfast he poured some Olive Marinade in the tray for me and I started rolling it onto the walls while he continued cutting on the ceiling. After he finished there, he did the cut work on the walls as I finished rolling them. We worked steadily all day, stopping for short breaks and meals at home, and by 7:00 had all the green part finished (even the cut work), leaving one more full coat to do on the ceiling to finish up. The white does not seem to cover very well, but the green only needed one coat--which made up for the extra work of the ceiling. Sort of.
We were briefly interrupted in the evening by a few little power outages when a fast moving storm rolled through bringing with it the first rain we have seen in many weeks. For a little while we couldn't even see the neighbor's house behind us, it was raining and blowing so hard. It rained off and on throughout the night, giving us a much needed reprieve from the unrelenting heat.
During our little breaks throughout the day we discussed our plans for the living room, and what sorts of things to put on the walls once they are all green. The things we have up now will NOT go well, so we are back to the drawing board for the living and dining rooms. The art we have in the hall will actually go better with the green walls, and the picture we used to have on the mantle at Miller Manor will go in the living room instead of the library where it currently hangs--it will be a major shuffle of all our nic-nacs and wall decor, but even so, there will be large gaps since the things we have had for years will not really fit into the new look we are going for. Once it cools off, I think we will start doing some garage sale shopping.
SUNDAY:
We got a bit of a late start, but eventually Ornery painted while I cleaned up messes. I got the last of the stuff taken care of that we bought home last weekend from the booth, washed dishes, cleaned up paint supplies and did some laundry and a little cooking. I am still adjusting to the gas stove--my brown rice took almost twice as long to cook as I am accustomed to waiting, and it was still chewy when I got tired of waiting and went ahead and put it in the casserole.
Ornery finished the last coat of white on the ceilings at about 4:30. While I scrubbed the dining room chairs with Murphy's Oil Soap, vacuumed the floor and moved things back into place, he took a soaking bath. We had a light supper and plan to retire pretty early tonight. Here are a couple of pictures of the mostly-finished (sans artwork on the walls) project.
You can see the mobile in this one--it really looks cool with the green walls. I like the white cabinet and trim, but I really don't have any idea what else to do for decorating in here! The tall ceilings are a bit of a challenge for me.
The dining room light had been hung with too long of a chain and cord, and the previous owner had secured it with a piece of the electrical cord tied in a knot and left dangling--not a pretty sight! Ornery will be taking it down and shortening the cord and chain later this week, but once we got the paint stuff done he was too tired to tackle it today. There are also a few places where the green is a little light, but we'll take care of them when we paint the hall. Once we have the kitchen finished (still need to do a couple things in there!) we'll use a blender to go along the bull-nosed corners where the two colors meet.
The doorway you see in the second picture goes into our bedroom. We will be painting that little alcove/hallway the same green as is in the dining room. It's hard to believe that the builder had that putty color in every room when the house was new, especially with the color carpet he chose. It is the same color that is in the guest room, hall bath and another little alcove/hallway outside the bathroom/studio.
I don't have any idea what to put on the walls or windows--if I put anything over them. I love the light that comes in through those blinds, so if I do anything it will either be just a top treatment or some sheers. It looks a little sterile right now, but SO much prettier than the nicotine yellow! I took the leaf out of the table, and plan to put a white table cloth on it and some sort of colorful square on top of that to help keep the white table cloth clean. Other than that, I am waiting for some serious inspiration to hit!
I love it, you guys are really doing some beautiful work.
ReplyDelete