Pages

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Outgoing Mail and Sleep Deprivation


For some reason every afternoon I crash. I can't keep my eyes open and if someone has the misfortune of trying to have a conversation with me, they may be met with a snore.  Yeah, that happened a couple of weeks ago when my friend came to visit. I sat down, my eyes drooped, and she had to wake me up. :P

Anyway, these afternoon mini-comas are interrupting my night-time sleep, and that is something that is a) entirely unprecedented -- If there was an Olympic sport for sleeping, I am sure I would have a gold medal for it! and b) annoying.  I will take the sleep whenever it comes, I guess, but it sure is complicating my life!

Yesterday morning I forced myself to stay in the kitchen until I had at least a few things cooked.  It was tough, but I prepared some wonderful meals.  As we sat down to a grilled steak and baked potatoes loaded with all sorts of goodies, I asked Ornery, "What did you do to rate a meal like this?"

His reply, which got a good laugh was, "I have no idea!  I never have figured out the key to getting my wife to cook for me!!"  When I told Elizabeth she laughed and said that Michael would answer exactly the same.  We are great cooks when we do it, but not as consistent as the males in our lives would like. :)

After lunch and a nap, I sat down and wrote five letters for a pen-pal swap.  One to the Netherlands, one to Canada and three to points in the US. These were hand-written, three page letters, all about different topics.  I am nothing if not full of BS words to share! Also going out today is a birthday card for a great-nephew and a little packet of foreign stamps to a fellow swapper.

I still have one more letter to reply to and 6 or 7 swaps to make, including my first created swap!  I figure the extended nights should give me time to get everything done.  Especially since I seem to be sleeping all afternoon!

3 comments:

  1. All i can say to the sleeping thing is "WOW!"

    I enjoy the way you share.

    Hand-written! I still exchange letters with friends - but, type & print . . concerned my handwriting just doesn't hold up any longer . . my awesome hands played guitar for a living for many years - then - went on sabbatical . . . I've had the opportunity to learn new skills for self expression . .

    happy snoozing!!
    -g-

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could nap! I have about 3 successful naps every year. On the rare occasion I do feel tired enough to the point I need to lie down, I almost never doze off. It's so annoying! Because I love to sleep. :) I can't believe you can hand-write all those letters...I'm so bad about that...

    -andi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the urge to nap too but I don't dare. I have yet to ever wake up from a nap feeling better or more awake. I call it 'nap hangover'. The headache, cotton mouth and disorientation are just not worth it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us! We really appreciate it.