Earlier this year one of Ornery's cousins passed away. He was on a site trip and didn't make it to her funeral, but his sister (Janese) and another cousin (Edward) drove out to western OK together. While there, they entered into a discussion with several others about the possibility of a reunion. Edward suggested we host it here in the Tulsa area and offered to spearhead the event.
Edward is a bachelor and has singularly "bachelor-like" ideas. So I ended up doing a lot of the planning and coordinating for the reunion. It remains to be seen whether the whole event comes off like he hoped, but it has a pretty good chance with Janese and I acting as hostesses!
At first he suggested "sometime over the holidays" which eventually turned into "the weekend after Christmas." Each rendition of the plans until Thanksgiving was a little more precise, but I finally jumped in and sent out post cards, then later letters and maps with travel information, hotel options, etc. which actually defined the parameters. There will be around 30 people in attendance if all come who said they would. There are a few I have never met, and most of the rest of them have been off my radar for several (30?) years. We have all changed a bit in the intervening time.
Ornery's mom has been in a bit of a dither over the event, stressing out at the least little provocation and over-doing around her house to be ready to host some of the guests overnight. Janese and Monty both had surgery in December which limits their mobility. Edward is not very organized and tends to fly by the seat of his pants from what I have been able to tell. And then there is ME! I have detailed lists. Excel Spreadsheets, drawings for layouts of food and time schedules to the minute of when things need to go in the oven--advanced preparations and beyond! Ornery interjects on occasion with questions such as, "Should we serve hot cocoa?" I always reply, "It's on the list." We have made an interesting team to be sure!
SO, after we spent yesterday morning dealing with Elizabeth's errands to buy our van and picking up and delivering chairs and tables at Janese's house, Ornery and I worked in the kitchen to bake four loaves of quick bread. Today Elizabeth came by to help. I think by the time she gets all her name changing errands taken care of and the two of them buy groceries, it will be time for lunch! At any rate, she is helping, and I am grateful! Today I am baking regular bread (just the frozen stuff--no kneading for me!) and preparing part of the food for Saturday and prepping for the things I am making on Sunday. If we have time, after we get the cooking done and the house cleaned up, Ornery will cut out some Masonite and we will paint some signs to direct people to the event from the highway.
Ornery also wants to make another batch of caramel so he can take some to the Realtor that has been working with us. That is a couple of hours worth of work by the time you wrap the pieces. We certainly have our work cut out for us today! Guess I had better get crackin'!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us! We really appreciate it.