Historically our area has had some of it's most infamous floods on Memorial Day weekend, but this year the weather was simply gorgeous.
Saturday morning Ornery went to work on the plane, Elizabeth got her hair cut and colored, and I fed all my plants with the microbial tea and minerals I had mixed the day before. I also rearranged the patio a bit--which was pretty fun. :) In the evening, Elizabeth and Michael went to dinner with another co-worker from their days at CompUSA, and Ornery and I worked out in the garage sanding some baskets and talking.
Sunday, Ornery and I went to breakfast alone and worked out our idea for a protective cage around the tomatoes to keep the birds out. We took Elizabeth's breakfast back home to her, then we all piled into Big Red for our first of three trips to Lowe's for the day. While Ornery cut pipe and assembled frames, I worked on potting some more flowers. Ryan called to chat while we were finishing at Lowe's and we talked for over an hour after we got home. It was good to catch up with him, and it sounds like he is staying very busy.
The second trip netted some fresh PVC glue and 20 large stepping stones to put down along the north side of the house. It is swamp-ish over there most of the time, but especially when the neighbors run their sprinkler every day which they have been doing for a couple of months now. The third trip (just before closing) was for a coupling for the last bit of PVC and some more netting. Ornery was happy to have some help from Elizabeth and Michael with unloading.
In addition to working outside most of the day, Ornery and I took a nap and started gathering the things he needed to pack for his trip next week. I did some laundry and put everything in the suitcase for him. It helps having a second set of eyes to see whether or not he is forgetting something important.
Monday we were all feeling the work we did the previous two days and spent some extra time sleeping. Ornery and I got most of the work done on the tomato cage by lunch time but after lunch we had run out of steam and ended up putting it all away to deal with when he returns from Florida. He also did some updates on a website he maintains.
In the evening, we had a really good in-depth discussion about success and what it means. I helped him make a list of the things he has already been successful at in his life, and he was surprised at the length of it--just scratching the surface! When I asked him what he had failed at, neither of us came up with a single thing. We decided there were two reasons for that: either he was too afraid he would fail so he didn't make the attempt, or he just kept working at it until he succeeded. Either way, it was obvious that his track record is a good one!
I can't say I am excited about being without Ornery for the next several days, but I have come up with a rather extensive mental list of ideas to keep me occupied in his absence. I meet with a young man this evening to discuss mowing our yard for a few weeks, and possibly doing some assorted dogsbody chores as well. I have really missed having a son around! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us! We really appreciate it.