Pages

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Ornery's Table

Elizabeth and I crashed early last night--7:00 is early even for us!  While we were sawing logs and chasing dreams, Ornery was in the Man Cave working on his patio table.  What a beautiful job he did!  I took a few pictures of it in its current state.  I will be painting it as soon as I figure out exactly what I want it to look like, although it almost seems a shame to do anything to it!
The top is about 11 inches wide and about 18 inches long.  It stands about 26 inches tall (I didn't actually measure any of it, but I think that gives you a good idea of the size).  He made it from a combination of pine and hardwoods knowing that it wouldn't really matter if the grains matched since I planned to paint it.
He used the router to soften the edges of the top and the little pieces he used for the shelf below.
The spaces between the little slats caused him a bit of trouble, but he figured out a good way to make it work using some wood pieces from his scrap bin as spacers.
He has left the top off to make it easier to paint, so I lifted it off to show the lovely job he did with his pocket-hole jig.  I am not sure how he intends to join the top to the rest of the table, but he has done a remarkable job of hiding any hardware so far!

This was his first piece of furniture with his newly gained tools and skills, but I am sure it will not be his last.  He has a few regrets but it was a great learning experience.  I think he will be making another table similar to it but larger for the entry hall with some of the left over lumber.

2 comments:

  1. What a beauty! I agree, the wood and workmanship is so lovely you hate to hide any of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh baby what a BEAUTY!! love it! Way to go David! I love that pocket hole jig...Chuck adores his too. Can't wait to see the entry table in place too. I agree that if feels daunting to paint the end table, but I think it will totally make it pop! Fun stuff, m-

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us! We really appreciate it.