Pages

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Weekend in Review: Mad, Glad, Sad, Rad

Friday was not my best day ever.  In fact, I can't recall the last time I was so frustrated. Here in a nutshell is the beginning of the day:

  • spa tub jets hadn't turned on for several months
  • we tried to reset the power switch several times to no avail
  • finally remembered early this week to call the home owner warranty people and schedule a repairman
  • forgot about the scheduled visit (he was supposed to call when on his way.)
  • got ready to go have a day out, opened the garage door to leave and discovered repairman at the end of the drive talking on the phone.
  • waited 20 minutes for him to get off the phone--he finally came in, reset the button, filled the tub and turned it on. ARRRGGHHH!!
  • had to pay $60. for the deductible even though he did nothing I hadn't already tried several times. THAT was the bite that hurt the most!
When he left, I went to Panera to drown my sorrows in a frozen mango and breakfast. I had a delightful visit with one of the employees who was just going on her break as I was ordering.  We shared a table and spent thirty minutes getting acquainted.  Yes, we do that with people who work places we usually do business with.  All the cooks and clerks at Panera know us--often by name. I make it a point each time we go to thank the cook and clerk.  

I was in a much better frame of mind after eating and laughing with this young lady, but I didn't really feel like doing all the things I thought I might enjoy earlier in the morning, so I went home and read a book or three. 

Elizabeth's new steampunk earrings arrived in the mail, and as she was going out to dinner and spent time getting all dressed up, I took a few pictures.

Sporting green fingernails...

The full outfit, including the shoes that gave her multiple blisters ...

the earrings are both different--here is one

here is the other earring.
While she was gone to dinner, I slithered down into the recently repaired tub to enjoy a hot whirlpool bath for the first time since we moved in!  Ornery spent the evening backing up my computer--another thing I am pretty sure had not occurred since we moved.

Saturday morning we went to Panera for breakfast and I took a picture with Ornery's phone of the two of them. They had just been twitting each other and were in high spirits...not an unusual state of affairs around here. 
They dropped me back off at home and went to the airport to work on the plane(s) they are helping to restore.  I spent the morning listening to a robin abuse itself on my studio window. (I wrote a letter about it here.)

I was saddened when Ornery brought the mail in as it contained a letter from my cousin saying my Aunt Nancy had passed away March 18th.  I had mailed a letter to her just last week after not hearing from her for a while.  The rest of the afternoon was spent intermittently crying.  I will miss her acerbic comments and unique view on life. She certainly caused me to reflect upon my convictions throughout the years, but I am saddest of all that she resisted any attempt on our part to receive God's love.

The cleansing power of tears should in no way be discounted as, after spending so many of mine throughout the day, I slept like the dead all night.

Sunday morning I rose at 4:00 and edited all the sale notes on my etsy shop as the sale I had been running ended at midnight. I need not have bothered actually, since later in the day my friend called and told me about a church fund raiser she was making things for, and I offered to donate most of the items in my shop.  I left a scant few items for sale, but most of the rest will go for a good cause.

I enjoyed a sauna and shower while Ornery got gas and a car wash for Big Red, then we ate donuts on the patio and worked outside and in the garage for a while.  We moved several things from the garage to the patio in anticipation of more gardening endeavors, which opened up quite a bit of space in the garage.  Ryan called from Afghanistan and we enjoyed catching up with him for about an hour.

Elizabeth has been reporting to us about her grades and so far she is doing very well in both classes. I know she will be glad to finish them, but I think she really does enjoy being in school--although I am not sure she would admit it. She spent most of the day working on homework and doing some chores around the house.

Ornery finished hanging all the trim in the bathroom.  He still has to patch nail holes, caulk and paint it.  He spread out his saws and new router table all over the garage while he worked on the trim.  The bull-nosed corners require a special corner treatment that allowed him the chance to try out his new router table.  He had to do some slight modifications to it so the small pieces wouldn't fall through the table, but I was impressed with how closely to the original piece (broken when he removed them) he was able to duplicate the shape and pattern.

Looking Ahead:
Having taken Friday and the weekend off from editing, I still have three messages left in the series.  I will attack them early this week and hopefully have them turned in before Friday.  The freezer is deplorably empty, and I should have taken some time to restock it this weekend but didn't.  That is another thing I will think about early in the week. I wish I could get some enthusiasm for cooking again--it seems to have perished.

Next weekend is Easter, and Elizabeth has plans pretty much all day Saturday with the airplanes in the morning, followed by a haircut, movie and dinner in the afternoon/evening.  Several girls from high school are getting together to reunite after almost 13 years!  They had lunch together everyday at school--usually among much laughter.  Sunday another friend will join us for egg dye and roast beast.  It will be a busy week getting ready for all that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us! We really appreciate it.