Pages

Friday, June 1, 2012

I'm Nooked!

A few months ago I discovered that I could immediately download electronic copies of books from my library to my computer.  My laptop is not wild about being on for so many hours and tends to get really hot, so I have a little fan positioned across the keyboard to keep it from burning up.  It is loud, makes me cold, and I am not very free to move around in that situation, so I began looking at e-readers.

Michael brought his Nook over for me to play with, and I decided I would like one with a glow light so I bought one yesterday--somewhat on impulse, but apparently the store had been having trouble getting them in, and there were 140 people on the waiting list... How did I end up with one?  I think divine providence! :)  They had just gotten a box in with 20 Nooks, and as I was standing there looking at the display, a clerk was calling to notify potential buyers they had come in.  One of the first people he called said they weren't interested, so he sold me that one!

I didn't quibble with the offer--he said "If you want one now, take this one."  I said, "Sold!"  I only felt a tiny bit bad about cutting in line before the people who were on the list, but not bad enough to turn it down.

It isn't quite as satisfying as reading text on a page, but I can adjust the font size to be less strain on my eyes, and there are several authors who publish things only in the e-format, so even though most books cost the same whether in print or electronically, it is possible to download books from the library to the nook, and there are other ways to "borrow" e-books as well.  It also allows me to download new releases immediately which is kind of cool.

The little device slips conveniently into my purse, so I can take it with me and read any time I am just sitting around waiting -- which admittedly is not very often any more, but certainly would have been handy when the kids were young and attending various lessons and activities.

I am off to plant my asparagus crowns and do one last big pot for the patio of zinnias and lantana.  The weather outside is absolutely my favorite--cool 60 degrees and sunny. It won't last, so I am going to enjoy it while I can--then I will probably read. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us! We really appreciate it.