Pages

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Weekend in Review: Rain!

It has been a delightfully wet weekend, with showers both Saturday and Sunday nights/mornings.  Of course that means that the humidity is unbelievable for the afternoons, but at least the grass is happier!

Ornery arrived home on Thursday afternoon.  We had a late lunch out then caught up on visiting that evening.  Friday I sold Elizabeth's Calculus book on Craigslist, and while I was listing it, found her a Kindle for a good price, so I went out and took care of both those transactions after lunch.  I got all sorts of other things done around the house in the morning, and Ornery mowed and trimmed the yard in the evening.

Saturday, Ornery ran over to Panera and picked up some bagels and Elizabeth and I fixed the rest of the breakfast to be ready when he arrived home.  Then we talked for a long time and I covered an address book for her since she seems to have misplaced the one she had.     Elizabeth went to Hobby Lobby and bought a frame for the picture I did for her using her old shirt, and Ornery took photos of all my new creations for me to post on the etsy shop, which I did in the afternoon.  We also went with Elizabeth and Michael to his new place and helped with some ideas, took measurements, went to Lowe's and lunch together.

Ornery started working on a chest/cabinet/window seat that will fit beneath the window and between two small closets in one of the bedrooms.  He is getting to try out some of the new techniques he has been learning about from the videos he has been watching about cabinet making.

Sunday, we went grocery shopping while Elizabeth worked on her computer class homework, quiz and reading.  Ornery looked at several houses online for us to tour on Monday, then loaded up a bunch of tools to head over to Michael's again.  The plan for today is for him to build a frame around the mirror above the mantle, put up a chair rail in the dining room, rework the closet bars in the "master" bedroom, and do some work on some patches that were not done well.  The list for him seems to grow by the day... but he is learning a lot, and it has been fun to be involved in the project of taking this old (1920's) house and making it fun and comfortable. It has lovely hardwood floors and crystal door knobs, but some of the "updates" have not been very well done.

The kids have been having great fun trying to figure out what they want and then bringing it to pass.  I have loved being able to offer input, but haven't been much help otherwise. Elizabeth has enjoyed helping Michael plan out a colorful house, and he seems to be having a pretty good time as well.  Today the two of them and possibly their friend Jeff will be painting in the master bedroom which Michael and Elizabeth stripped of wallpaper earlier in the week. She is also planning to paint with several different colors the tiles around the little fireplace.  There is not really a fireplace, just a little opening with a gas pipe for logs should one desire them, but the previous tenant/owner painted the tiles with flat white paint, and they look pretty sad.

While they are gone, I plan to cover my last address book--another bit of supplies used up!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us! We really appreciate it.